Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying the Caloundra deep water again

Re: Trying the Caloundra deep water again

Gday guys, yes I have been able to give a fair bit away, I don't usually have much trouble, seems people without boats appreciate fresh fish more than those with boats and not many people knock back something for free

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Perko, yeh it was hard work but I'll continue with the alvey's at this stage. I think after 250m electrics would be required.

The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Dignity, yeh they are SS weights. 100mm of 50mm shaft is 1.5kg so I have made some 100mm and 150mm ones. We only needed the 100mm as there was zero current, we were fishing straight down

Icing down for a week sounds interesting? We just got one out of the ice at a time to clean and put it on the grass and scrubbed with a broom whilst hosing the slim. Then put it on a hessian bag to fillet. This seemed to work well

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post
    Dignity, yeh they are SS weights. 100mm of 50mm shaft is 1.5kg so I have made some 100mm and 150mm ones. We only needed the 100mm as there was zero current, we were fishing straight down

You must have a cheap supply of offcuts, last time I priced SS like that I probably could have bought an electric reel 😆

Lee, left you a PM

Well done mate. Good to see you get into a couple. You'll be hooked now it's pretty addictive. Especially when u get an electric and u can drink beer while they come up.

Wow!. That is a SOLID!!! Haul. Well done!.

Any Weather,

G'day mate,
    Have you been out lately chasing those deep dwellers since last time?

Gday Bondy, no mate not from Caloundra. I did one trip out of Noosa in October and got some more.
    I went out again from Caloundra on Monday to wide Caloundra with the intention of coming in close to Moreton to camp the night. I expected it was going to be rough but it was crazy rough. At 6.30pm we decided it would be quicker to cut across the sea and head for the passage than head the same distance straight into it to get to Moreton. We crossed the bar about 7.30pm. At this point we had zero fish in the esky. Only 1 undersized pearly was caught all day. We left the passage again at 3.30am and went to the Caloundra 12 mile for 7 fish only which were nice Moses perch, 1 parrot, and 2 nice mouri cod. We got a 53cm red emperor which was disappointing.
    We got belted for 2 days, it was expected but still not what we wanted.
    Hopefully the weather will be better in the new year to try again

Lee, you must be a sucker for punishment. My boat is having changes made to the pod, I haven't been offshore for a couple of months now, getting the DT's. Shame about the Red Emperor, hard to get a legal one down this way, have to head a little further north.

Sam

Hi Sam, yeh mate your right, I knew it would ordinary but was keen for a trip. It was motor fully trimmed, tabs fully down and 30km/h stuff. I took some video to show why I need windscreen wipers I think I am beginning to think over 20 knots should be pull the pin weather. I just struggle to pull out once committed and have other crew that are also keen. Maybe as I get older I will see the light.

Sam, how much longer is your boat out of action? Yeh reds down here are optimistic but when this one came out of the water I thought you are kidding, we may just get one here. Close but not close enough. Bring on the global warming, it’s only a matter of time

Lee, the pod should be close to completed tomorrow, still working out if we 2 pack it or powder coat it. The trouble is of the local powder coaters one has always been a little shoddy and the other who used to do great work has suddenly gone shoddy, suspect he has some new staff that aren't to careful and too quick. With luck it might be back on by the weekend then a day of wiring and plumbing.

Sam

Hi Dignity and Any Weather,

Merry Christmas, Shame about the dodgy work being performed Sam, it's a mongrel when one pays good dollars only to get a job that's poorly finished. I'm still keen to soak some pots for muddies or sandies and try my luck at catching some fish for a feed. I'm starting to get rusty.

Lee, You certainly are keen, I use to go out in winds of 20knts at one stage but at my age now (58), becomes a bit uncomfortable. I have not been on the water (fishing wise) for quite some time, always been keen to go then something unexpected happens putting a spanner in the works.

Cheers,
    Peter