Thread: Brisbane River Jew and Flathead

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Brisbane River Jew and Flathead

Plan was to head out late Friday night and catch the low tide overnight and then take it from there.
    Well a two-truck accident on port drive threw that plan out the window. Didn't really want to go over the bridge and launch from Pinkenba so decided to wait it out. Got as far as I could just after 11 and then got the boat and all my gear sorted and ready and just waited. Traffic started heading in to the port slowly at about 2am.
    Once on the water conditions were good, managed a few good mullet around boggy creek area, then up the chute and got some big herring and a couple of pike.
    Found a few fish alongside one of the wharves and anchored up over them. Sat there for a while watching fish come and go on the sounder before I decided to try and get some sleep. I had just got comfortable and about to fall asleep when one of the rods starts bouncing around. The mullet was going mental and a few moments later the mullet was firmly lodged in the mouth of a nice 90cm Jew! A nice fight and the ghost popped up beside the boat, pretty happy with that.
    Wasn't long after this that the fish stopped showing up on the sounder so I made a move. Only about 80m further up I found the fish again. Re-anchored and deployed baits.
    It didn't take long and the live pike starts slowly moving away. Set the hook and realised it wasn't a Jew... Not much of a fight so was thinking a cattie or an eel, but I was surprised when a 69cm flatty came up.
    Fished for a couple more hours for not a lot, packed up and went home.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 2-09-2017, 7 18 25 AM.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	116151Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 2-09-2017, 5 19 56 AM.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	116152

Blog Entries

Re: Brisbane River Jew and Flathead

We were out on the water Fri evening ( must have missed the truck incident though ) spent the evening along the sunken wall for a few flathead / cod / bream & undersize squire.Fished with plastics along the wall Sat morning without a touch ..Wouldn't have minded a bit of jew action thrown in the mix ..Nice fish J