Thread: Fish finder earth wire

Fish finder earth wire

Sorry about the noob question but I am fitting the raymarine axiom to the boat via a blue sea blade fuse block, just wanting to know if I can just run the earth wire circled to the load negative pole or just leave it off all together.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Re: Fish finder earth wire

How's the refurb of your old mans boat going, must be getting close to putting her in the water. I'd connect it to the fuse block, don't leave it off.

Good thanks mate, ran the motors on the trailer for a good hr Friday in gear at full load and no overheating as yet, taking it for its first run on the water in 20 years this morning, won't be going to far maybe just a run to old woman and back

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

There have been on occasion some glitchy little faults with the odd Raymarine product that have been rectified by attaching the earth wire to negative so I would run with Dignity's suggestion of hooking it up.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    There have been on occasion some glitchy little faults with the odd Raymarine product that have been rectified by attaching the earth wire to negative so I would run with Dignity's suggestion of hooking it up.
    Thanks mate had me a bit stumped, as to why a second ground wire

It's a genuine earth or ground wire - not a negative as such - more to do with RF noise than power supply. In a trailer boat (or any outboard powered boat) the "ground" (water) is connected to negative through the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Good thanks mate, ran the motors on the trailer for a good hr Friday in gear at full load and no overheating as yet, taking it for its first run on the water in 20 years this morning, won't be going to far maybe just a run to old woman and back

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Should've given me a call, was at loose ends this morning.

[QUOTE=Dignity;1635768]Should've given me a call, was at loose ends this morning.[/
    Thanks for the offer it would have been handy to have another person, shit myself when driving boat back on the trailer and saw the ute slide back a touch