Thread: 1770 Lady Musgrave

1770 Lady Musgrave

I'm going up to 1770 next week and taking my 5.3 half cabin boat. I intend to do a few little trips around in close & up into Pancake creek. I also wanted to do the day trip out to Lady Musgrave on the commercial cat that I've been on several times but now I notice it runs out of the Port of Bundaberg. Is this correct? Are there still any boats that go out to Lady Musgrave from 1770? I'd like to go for a dive.
    Thanks
    Ros

Re: 1770 Lady Musgrave

Yes there is still a boat going out to LMI from 1770. http://www.1770reef.com.au/

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

As ozynorts said. I was out there 2 weeks ago and both boats were there, however, the 1770 boat only came out once in the 4 days we were there, while the bigger Bundaberg cat was out every day. The weather was very average(wind), so maybe that's why!

I believe the boat ex 1770 can't run in conditions above 15kts.
    Pancake creek is nice, we stayed a night up there a couple of months ago.
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by FisHard View Post
    I believe the boat ex 1770 can't run in conditions above 15kts.
    Pancake creek is nice, we stayed a night up there a couple of months ago.
    that's probably about right, as it was blowing around 20 consistently!

Blog Entries

If you stay at Pancake overnight on the beach take plenty of bushman. Beautiful spot though

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    If you stay at Pancake overnight on the beach take plenty of bushman. Beautiful spot though
    We didn't have that problem at all, maybe just lucky
    Attached Images Attached Images
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FisHard View Post
    We didn't have that problem at all, maybe just lucky
    Did you sleep on the beach? We had our swags and camped on the waters edge in May and got hammered. If you sleep off from the shore on board could imagine that it would be fine.

Free Membership

Hello

We are planning to drive up from Brisbane together with my son and spend a week or so visiting Lady Musgrave and Northwest Islands. We have booked camping sites for January 2019. We look forward to some boating, snorkelling, scuba, fishing and/or just plain relaxing.

We would need some good advise as to how to get to the islands, the ferry services are quite infrequent and do not match with our timetable 12-19 January.

Is there a possibility to getting a ride on a boat that would be heading towards the islands?
    Are there boats on hire at reasonable cost or would it be too expensive or too dangerous for a non-local (Finland) to navigate to the islands?

Cheers
    James MacGyver Bond

PS! what about stingers? Do we need to be concerned...

Musgrave has daily ferries out of Bundaberg and less dependable from 1770. They used to cater for campers (you'll have to confirm) but it is a fair hike with gear around to the camping area. Northwest is by charter barge out of Gladstone and as you say - irregular. It is just more of the same with less facilities. Once you've seen one island in that area you've seen them all - sorry but it's true. I'd recommend a longer stay on the one that is easier to get to rather than going through the logistics of getting gear back to bundy, up to Gladstone and out to Northwest. Same lice, same smell, same Booby birds howling all night long, same reef dives.
    nil carborundum illegitimi