Thread: Whiting a plenty

Whiting a plenty

Took a run to the Rous today.
    Left clontarf at 6.30am. 45 min run over, 30 klms.

Picking them up in ones and twos. Size was really good. Just kept building our numbers. We were fishing run out, then just as tide turned to run in, the numbers increased. Ended up with 91 of the best whiting we have caught this year.

Boat cleaned, fish scaled on way home in scaling bages, now filleted and downing a scotch.

Doesnt get much better.

Saw a few schools of tuna. No rod to catch them

Blog Entries

Re: Whiting a plenty

Sounds like a good day mate. I headed out around 5:30am. Things were quiet for most of the ru in tide with one good flatty landed about 1 hour from the top. Stuck it out knowing they would bite eventually, ended up with another 3 good flattys caught at half tide

Where did u fish funchy

Well done Greg, good to hear you got a feed. I'm off to Fraser Island on Saturday to try for a few tailor with my uncle before the school holidays, I had a bit of luck at the Boat show in the Redcliffe Coastguard Raffle and won a gift voucher for Brisbane Marine at Clontarf. Now I just have to decide what I want to buy. Cheers.

Hey scott lucky u on the raffle. Mate if u cant find anything, i will. Lol
    Good luck up at fraser. Weather should be perfect.

Yeah whiting on menue here next week.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    Where did u fish funchy
    in the plummy passage mate. Up the top end of near Caloundra

Hey Funchy.
    Is there few options up that end. I was thinking of maybe staying in caravan park then head outside. Is it ok going put the caloundra bar?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    Hey Funchy.
    Is there few options up that end. I was thinking of maybe staying in caravan park then head outside. Is it ok going put the caloundra bar?
    Plenty of options up the northern end of the apssage. I like to stay down around Bells creek not right up near the bar. Sing out if you are up this way and if I'm availaible I'll catch up and give you some spots.

Regarding the bar. It's doable but can be tricky with a few boats going down a couple of months ago. Conditions need to be pretty good and you want a tide at half or above. Personally I stay inside the passage and chase flattys. If I do go outside I drag the boat down to Mooloolaba and launch from there.

Thanks Funchy

Scott Ashe,

Well done mate, you will enjoy Fraser Island, congrats on the raffle.