Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: outboard vs inboard/outboard

Re: outboard vs inboard/outboard

Quote Originally Posted by inveratta View Post
    yes I had a 485 merc (which was a frankenstein motor design....a ford head...merc block etc etc) ....never had much faith in the motor despite a total rebuild.....sure enough the camshaft seals were incorrectly installed and the conrods were put back the wrong way ..all by a professional engine shop. ...the exhaust flapper valve never seemed to last long and there was a lot of small issues that just take time to resolve...and then with an outboard no worrying about the large hole in stern with a perishable rubber seal holding the sea out...or the carburettor in the hull..

Last three years ..1 reasonably priced annual service and no downtime at all...for me no contest...
    Sounds like you certainly got a bad one and I would certainly be pissed at the rebuild people. All I can say that the inboards today are a far cry from yesteryear and come to think about it the outboards around now are far more advanced then 20 years ago. I wouldn't go for a old stern drive again either and I certainly wouldn't buy a second hand boat with one in it unless the owner was willing to have it fully removed so you can do a full inspection. That is one good thing about outboards, you can see issues easier.

Exactly......I am not trying to say that all inboards are that bad..this was just my experience...I started life as a boy with a seagull silver century ..and there is not enough bandwidth available to fully cover just how difficult that outboard was....but modern outboards well maintained..are simply so good.

I like the idea of a single 1750 hp merc stern drive - saves having to line the transom with 4 x 400hp outboards

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    I like the idea of a single 1750 hp merc stern drive - saves having to line the transom with 4 x 400hp outboards
    Cool motor probably more than I need.
    Race fuel may be a pain and the 20hrs between rebuilds would wear a bit thin after a little while I reckon............

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

Yeah but at 80 knots 20 hours is a long way...oh wait...I'd run out of fuel before I cleared the Scarborough channel.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by swof63 View Post
    Cool motor probably more than I need.
    Race fuel may be a pain and the 20hrs between rebuilds would wear a bit thin after a little while I reckon............

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app
    You'd be happier with the 1350hp consumer version then .....200 hours between refresh and runs on 98 fuel