Thread: Al-Ko or Hydrastar

Al-Ko or Hydrastar

G'day
    I have to replace our Al-ko IQ7 as it was swamped, it was repaired by Al-Ko approved repairer but other faults are now causing the unit to shut down after 2 or 3 applications. Just when you think all is good, next thing, no brakes with 3 tonnes behind. I'm now told by Al-Ko that the policy is to not carry out repairs on an IQ7 once swamped because of this type of thing. I wish I was told that before I spent something approaching 50% of a new one on one that would put my families safety at risk and waste time and complete waste of money!
    So, now I'm inclined to go for a hydrastar. Not much change in fitting, really only a platform to mount it on and attach the breakaway stuff is extra. P2 controller is compatible
    I've moved the Al-ko to a place where it can never get swamped but wondered if the hydrastar components are water proof?
    Also, is the hydrastar better, the authorised repairer here is different so that appeals if any issues in future.
    Thoughts?
    Cheers
    Rod

Re: Al-Ko or Hydrastar

Have a Hydrastar, 16 yrs or so on and no issues.
    I don't drown it or the trailer so cannot comment on how they stand up to that sort of treatment.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Thanks Chimo
    It was a freak day, a huge southern ocean storm about 200k's offshore with waves to 20m sent swells in to the boat ramp. Son observed for a long time to get the rhythm and chose a time to go. Just about to drive on to the trailer and the biggest of all hit and despite stopping 2m further away from the water than usual, water went way up the ramp, water going into the back of his lifted navara and over the bottom of the doors even as his decky drove it back up the ramp the wave went 3m past the front of the ute. A retired pro was watching the goings on and said it was huge, biggest he saw. But now actuator mounted on the crossbar of the cat trailer. Also bought an old land rover to launch now, probably never happen again, I'll certainly not launch in those conditions
    Cheers
    Rod

Not sure with regards to how it would stand up to swaming but after being shafted by AlKo I would not give them any more coin. OR- Maybe worth trying to see if they will come to the party and deduct the repair cost from the price of a new unit?

G'day
    I don't think Al-ko themselves would have advised repairs and I'm not sure what the logic was by the repairer, he must have thought it would be alright, I can only deal with the consequences. An unfortunate incident for sure, outcome should have been better but I wasn't advised directly by al-ko to get repairs after the cause was properly identified ie compressor had obviously had a guts full of salty stuff. I pulled the cover off and it looked ok, everything worked straight after the swamping, it wasn't till a few months later it packed up. So I don't blame al-ko who kindly advised me to buy a new one online now the repaired one has severe failings.
    I have to put it behind me and take lessons from it, I'm the loser but only I seem to care.
    hydrastar is looking the better option for my situation as it has evolved.
    I've rung around a few companies that sell both and been told the hydrastar is better anyway
    Boat trailer brakes, don't you love em
    Cheers
    Rod

Apart from the legalities I felt the standard override brakes I had on the same trailer; that I had up rated, hence the electric over hydraulic Hydrastar brakes; work as well if not better than the unrated gear.

Put the brakes on hard going thru Surfers (terrorists drivers) on one occasion and and Patrol and trailer brakes all locked up together. The override brakes must have all been working OK to do that and I doubt that the Hydrastar or any other brand would be any better.
    What could go wrong.......................

Throw another one out there, have a dexter, very simple works well connects to the red arc easily

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

10 year old Alko on my trailer - can't fault it. Guess it comes down to how pissed you are at their agent and how much modification's required for the Hydrastar as in the real world either one does it's job.

Also have a 10 year alko on my trailer, wouldnt go anything else
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

been installing al-ko for over 10 years and have only ever had to have 1 serviced, for a boat trailer there the best as you don't require the battery and the breakaway switch. They will always work in the case of an accident where the other may not as the battery or switch could be faulty

Thanks for the feedback all. Scottar has summed it up, if I'd been given correct info after the unit was damaged by it's drowning, a new replacement fitted would have seen a successful, safe and cost efficient outcome rather than an expensive debacle (for me)
    Decision made
    Cheers
    Rod

Not recommended but interesting none the less.
    Looks like all this would have been avoided if I had hydrastar from the start.
    Cheers
    Rod

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

All this talk of actuators do any of you guys have any security features on your actuators? I just see a rather expensive item sitting there for all to see held in place by 4 small bolts. Or am I being paranoid?

Quote Originally Posted by Marchy001 View Post
    All this talk of actuators do any of you guys have any security features on your actuators? I just see a rather expensive item sitting there for all to see held in place by 4 small bolts. Or am I being paranoid?
    In reality it would be quicker and easier to knock off the entire trailer. With battery operated power tools being what they are these days, no trailer at a public ramp is entirely safe. When I fish overnight I typically use a trailer lock and a wheel clamp but even at this extent I still suspect it only stops the honest crooks