Thread: Stratos seats

Stratos seats

Hi all , Im toying with the idea of replacing the seats in my centre console with a suspension type of seat like Stratos seats, or similar , ive just come across these STRATOS seats and was wondering has any body done it allready and your thoughts? or is their a better alternative as these seats are mostly for 4wd/light truck applications. cheers

Re: Stratos seats

I guess these seats you are talking about are made just for cars? if so, I don't think any of the metal would be suitable for salt water??

A lot of middle size commercial boats run KAB truck seats but they're in a cabin and still end up semi disposable. Try shoxs or shockwave for a seat designed for our environment.

Or there are the cheaper kiwi "Shark" seats which look good but are a new player on the block.

Ausfish Platinum Member

it was all the go to fit those suspension seats in larger commercial planing hulls in the eighties, it wore off pretty quick. Bosstrom the the first brand, came straight out of trucks. Firstly, they rusted, and the shocks wore out very quickly , and made the ride worse, not better. I had one for a while, ended up chucking it and replacing it with an alloy bench with padding. replacement shocks didn't last long, they were made for the small, short jarring movements you get in trucks, not the large up and down of big planing hulls hammering across the short 2 metre seas you commonly get offshore here. There was another downside too--I know a fisherman who lost the the first joint of his little finger in one--grabbed the seat base for support coming down off a big one, and got it caught in the scissor underneath which gives the movement

thanks for your thoughts, yes some other brands to compare as well as the question of it being practical in the end, i wonder if those seats the RIBS use might be a better solution. cheers

There is a kevlacat for sale on boat sales with them installed ex rescue cat.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

We are the dealer for SHOXS seating if you're looking for the best http://shoxs.com/ we also have a more cost effective solutions. we have used the KAB and other automotive seats in the past and in my experience is they don't last as they are not made for the marine environment. Shoot me a PM if you want more info.