Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardon Rod holders

Hardon Rod holders

Been looking for a good universal multi angle/position rod holder to replace the two fixed angle side deck mounted ones I have.
    These look like what I am looking for but they are getting up there in $$ and I would like to know if anyone has fitted them and are they good and worth the cost.

http://www.hardonfishing.com.au/photo-gallery.asp

Re: Hardon Rod holders

Shockingly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by johncar View Post
    Been looking for a good universal multi angle/position rod holder to replace the two fixed angle side deck mounted ones I have.
    These look like what I am looking for but they are getting up there in $$ and I would like to know if anyone has fitted them and are they good and worth the cost.

http://www.hardonfishing.com.au/photo-gallery.asp
    Yes just a bit pricey. Would like to see the mechanism closer up. Still might need a tether on the outfit until i was confident they weren't going to lay over under big load. Could be a good thing? How about you try them for me first!

i looked at them at the boat show and was impressed

BUT

FRK me they are expensive

Yeah I looked at these at the T&T show as well and they certainly look the goods and yes way expensive so let us know how they go....matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

They look very nice but Frack they are expensive.
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

Have a look at the Cisco, Cannon dual axis and Craig rod holders.
    Strong gear for half that price.

Quote Originally Posted by deckie View Post
    Have a look at the Cisco, Cannon dual axis and Craig rod holders.
    Strong gear for half that price.
    Thanks deckie for the other products names, I checked them all out and some good stuff there that would do the job for me. Particularly liked the Cisco. Wish these Hardon Rod Holders were a little less expensive more in line with them, and would like to see if they work well and reliable over time, I like the way they are far less extended than the US stuff and can even be flush with the deck making it a lot easier to lift a rod out under load, just retract out of the way so quickly. Probably not about to fork out that much but would hate to do so find out that they become less reliable with a couple of years of fishing. Great looking design just a bit up there. Around $150 I would be more likely to give them a go but can understand the R&D and cost of making a quality product too, assuming they are...
    Would be happy to do a review on them if I could get ahold of one to trial...

ok, i have to ask now, how expensive are they for one??

I think it was $249 on their website
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

Quote Originally Posted by johncar View Post
    Thanks deckie for the other products names, I checked them all out and some good stuff there that would do the job for me. Particularly liked the Cisco. Wish these Hardon Rod Holders were a little less expensive more in line with them, and would like to see if they work well and reliable over time, I like the way they are far less extended than the US stuff and can even be flush with the deck making it a lot easier to lift a rod out under load, just retract out of the way so quickly. Probably not about to fork out that much but would hate to do so find out that they become less reliable with a couple of years of fishing. Great looking design just a bit up there. Around $150 I would be more likely to give them a go but can understand the R&D and cost of making a quality product too, assuming they are...
    Would be happy to do a review on them if I could get ahold of one to trial...
    I can understand that as well mate..but geez its a rod holder..surely when they were doing the RnD they always knew it'd be a stretch to sell something for $250 that most think are expensive at $100. Are they out and about in the usual haunts like paying for favorable magazine "reviews" or flogging them at tournaments ? PLENTY of competition...they'd do very well to offer a few out there to guys like yourself for a test drive just to get the name going. How much of a niche market can there be for boutique rod holders ?

The short cradle cisco looks a beast as an allrounder and might be the answer to being easier for u to get the rod out under load. Normally that type used for lighter tackle and easy to get rod out...but these look tough as hell and made to haul loaded downrigged gear. The tube styles can be layed fairly flat when not in use and some have thumbscrews to quickly remove or swap sides, like having 4 mounts and 2 holders.

Its still just a design we're expected to pay $250 for. Plus looks like a major install by comparison, and major patch if u dont like them and want them gone.
    Good luck choosing.

i have had a pair of these rod holders installed on the bait board of my boat for about 10 months and cant falt them.

Had been looking around for a long time for a product like this, they are just so practical.

i am going to get another set i dont mind paying for quality.

Thanks Jettson, That is good feedback and when seeing something that seems a great design but quite expensive relative for what it is used for, I have to be sure it's pretty bullet proof, mind you I have paid too much for fishing gear that has been less that reliable.

As deckie was saying, its a big patch up job if it doesn't work well over time, not to mention the potential loss of my favourite rod and reel so it's a bit of a leap of faith with a new product.

John, remember you have the big advantage of an unpainted platey. If the hardon option is primarily to sort out another issue (eg angles or drainage etc) you could change what you have possibly? If not yes they are expensive but if they work for you you'll use them every trip unlike all the other items on our boats we only use occassionally. In the scheme of things if you can afford them they're probably 0.5% of your boats worth for 2.

Jeff...if u can assure us that u dont have a vested interest in these rod holders (plz dont take that the wrong way) its all great advice coz nothing replaces advice from someone actually using them.
    BUT...could you explain the actual advantages you have discovered over both flush mount and tube style rod holders at about 1/3rd the price for quality gear.
    There are just so many fully adjustable holders about, as well as quickly removed ones that it'd be good to hear a practical assessment. Afterall the price difference over just two rod holders is seriously significant and would really need to be justified....it doesnt matter if we're Bill Gates, noone likes that feeling of unnecessary expense.
    i.e. did you find the price difference equates to a definite advantage for you ? They might be "quality" but thats about the only way to market something at 2-3 times the price...needs to be a definite practical advantage rather than just being "innovative". Are they worth it u reckon ?
    Steve.