Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The fluorocarbon myth..

The fluorocarbon myth..

Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Re: The fluorocarbon myth..

Yes good call Triple, very interesting. Sounds like tackle companies may have been stretching the truth but we're now seeing through them,

Good find Tripple. I changed my mind on fluro after starting fishing with my brother in law and noticing he had a lot less trouble than I had. I've reverted to mono leaders offshore, still use fluro for chasing flatties etc due to abrasion properties but with the heavier lines I found that fluro is much thicker, seems to cause more problems with twisting and gets all gnarly so easily and I seem to retie rigs more often. I still have heaps left so use it mainly for floaters now.

Thanks for posting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right up there with the 'turn your sounder off while your fishing' myth.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtragic View Post
    Right up there with the 'turn your sounder off while your fishing' myth.
    Yep, agreed but just going back to basics seems to be causing me less hassle.
    I suspect fishing anglers are the worst suckered when it comes to marketing.

I've never used fluoro leaders, always used normal mono, have no problem. Interesting to read about the fluoro though.

Pig of a thing to use. too stiff for easy knots and it seems to make bugger all difference when it comes to bites.
    It does however seem to last a little better in rough reef.

Also the biggest problem is it has a memory, soon as it gets a bit of a knot or twist in it it's there to stay and the issue compounds. Slowly depleting my stocks and been using mono, haven't noticed a decline in bites.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Yes good call Triple, very interesting. Sounds like tackle companies may have been stretching the truth but we're now seeing through them,
    Hahahhaa I see what you did there

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    Hahahhaa I see what you did there
    Got a million of em funch.

Fluoro is just another option for anglers - IMO It certainly has its place .... particularly in light line finesse situations. I carry both & it will depend on what the situation is as to whether I use one or the other.
    I do question the issue on refractive index Vs Nylon .... If you were to compare say 50lb FC Vs 50lb Pa6 or copolymer there would be a massive difference (Pa6 is translucent - the thicker it is the more opaque it becomes) It's here where I've seen many examples when spooky fish ignore a bait or presentation till a switch is made to FC .
    Is it it worth the money ..... that is up to the individual & what is the perceived value.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Funny that, last ran out of Fluoro switched to mono; found no difference ... still catching no fish

Seriously though, my mate stuck with braid to mono leaders and was catching more fish than I. It wasn't the Fluoro, he's a better fisho but he says liked the stretch mono gave him. I've switched to Platypus Low Stretch.

Woke up a long time ago flouro is no better than mono, and in many cases worse because of the extra thickness, for the applications I use them for.

I wonder if anyone has done a study on mono lines for example cheap K'Mart Jarvis Walker bulk spools vs the much higher priced brand name mono lines, are the name brands mono's that much better than the cheap brands at a fifth of the price?