Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How high to lift the motor

Re: How high to lift the motor

I kind of think you can do one or the other, not both, making the pod the same as the bottom of the boat will make the motor OK now, but eliminates being able to lift it with an extension plate (I think) what happens, in very rough terms, the boat kind of makes a V in the water as it planes, as the boat moves, the V behind the boat starts to "level out" meaning it is rising behind the boat, so, moving the motor rearward with some sort of jack plate, or non waterline pod, allows the motor to be raised to get the cav plate skimming the surface, the further back you move it, the higher it can go (up to a point) if you get what I mean??

Noelm, my predicament exactly and I keep going around in circles. I'm going to start with the alum plate and go from there.

Have recently done a little rewire job for a fella with a Vision 21 that has had a full width pod done at about 600 long. Loves what it has done to the boat. He did pass comment that it was now difficult to get any lift into the bow using the trim. Rig was running a 200 Opti.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Have recently done a little rewire job for a fella with a Vision 21 that has had a full width pod done at about 600 long. Loves what it has done to the boat. He did pass comment that it was now difficult to get any lift into the bow using the trim. Rig was running a 200 Opti.
    Scott, any chance of finding out who did the job for me and is the guy willing to discus it, thanks.

PS. Sent you txt re trim tabs this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Scott, any chance of finding out who did the job for me and is the guy willing to discus it, thanks.

PS. Sent you txt re trim tabs this morning.
    Will shoot him an Email Sam and ask. Job was done by Arnold's Fiberglass in Hemmant along with a hard top. Text didn't turn up mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    No, I "helped" make a plate just like you need, the plate is held to the pod using existing method (bolt holes) the top motor mounting bolts are above the pod, and use normal nuts and bolts, the bottom motor holes are tapped into the alloy plate and blind bolts are used, the plate we used was about 20mm thick, and has a 250 HP motor bolted to it that is still in use after about 5 years!
    I gather that the holes in the alum plate were countersunk to use the original bolt holes on the pod transom so that the motor bracket wouldn't interfere with the bolts, at least the top holes.

Here you are, many ways to do it.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=p...w=1536&bih=734

Simple to complex, cheaper to less cheap.

The local guy does a simple version.

C
    C
    What could go wrong.......................

Chimo, plenty of jacks on the market. Got my new trim tabs today and as the original installer ran the cables through the pod I had to remove them before I could install the new one. Was not going go through the pod with my install but still needed to get rid of the old ones. Once in the pod I found moisture where I didn't ecpect any and it seems the stress fractures have opened up through to the inside. This means I need to move faster than expected. I will now remove the pod, get one manufactured out of powder coated alum. It will be shorter by 150mm with a riser to raise the motor. With everyone busy until Xmas it looks like I'm back to flicking for flatties or bumming a ride on others boats.

Many thanks to everyone's contributions as it has stretched my thinking even though I've found it frustrating at times.

Not great news Sam. I have sent you a PM with the gentleman's contact details mate.

Bit late but saw this pretty much brand new Yalta with a jacking plate and F150 this morning. With your new pod, I'd get it as low as possible for extra bouyancy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
    Bit late but saw this pretty much brand new Yalta with a jacking plate and F150 this morning. With your new pod, I'd get it as low as possible for extra bouyancy.
    Or I could buy yours now that you've tarted her up and got the engine purring, I would have to park her in front of your new boat though. 😉

Hey Dignity

After looking for a jack plate for one of my boats i stumbled across this and thought it may interrest you for something that is set up already for what you were proposing to do for testing.

https://www.cmcsales.com.au/product/...al-extensions/

Cheers Dan
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

I'm currently having conversations with one of Scottars contacts who had a mod done on his Allison, hope to view it within the next next and he has very kindly offered to even take me for a drive. I'll let you know how I go.

Skusto, I think I can make those for condiderbly less.

HI mate I just did an ally pod for my 6m glass boat which had stress fractures and transom problems as well. ... happy to go into it further I can email progress pics sorry dont have time to resize pics to post on here unless there's an easy fast way

Quote Originally Posted by FISHAWN View Post
    HI mate I just did an ally pod for my 6m glass boat which had stress fractures and transom problems as well. ... happy to go into it further I can email progress pics sorry dont have time to resize pics to post on here unless there's an easy fast way
    Thanks, it would be greatly appreciated. PM sent.