Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 75
  1. #31

    Re: How high to lift the motor

    Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    There ya go Sam,
    Took me just 2 mins to draw the motor for illustration purposes only
    Tony would've drawn it quicker
    Attachment 116104
    Apologies for the Disagree post, fat fingers 😠

  2. #32

    Re: How high to lift the motor

    Quote Originally Posted by 552Evo View Post
    Obviously I'm no boat builder, but is it feasible to add on to your existing motor pod in the downwards direction ? So the pod and main hull/keel are on the same level.
    That would change the dynamics in your favour I think ?
    The add on wouldn't have to be structural to support the motor because that structure is already there. The add on only has to extend the hull.


    Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.
    Yes, that can be done but the motor is currently a 25 inch leg, I would have to put a longer shafted, modify the water exhaust etc and the leg would sit lower still, I wouldn't be able to trim the leg all the way down at home which I prefer to stop the trim rams from pitting. Also I suspect with another 112mm I would still need to raise the motor. Reducing the motor to a 20 inch shaft as suggested to me privately by another AF member would work also but this still keeps the motor very close to the water. I wonder why the old 2 stroke wasn't such a problem.

  3. #33
    Ausfish Bronze Member 552Evo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Melbourne

    Re: How high to lift the motor

    Ok got it.
    It seems no matter which way you go to there's going to be $$ involved.



    Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

  4. #34

    Re: How high to lift the motor

    Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Apologies for the Disagree post, fat fingers 
    Nah Sam, deep down you really wanted to hit the disagree button.

    Quite understandable when Robs involved................

  5. #35

    Re: How high to lift the motor

    I'm assuming that right now the engine is on the bottom set of holes (as high as it can go). That means you have a 50-55mm gap between the top of then pod transom and the engine bracket flange. We also know that the engine has to go up. Glue a 70mm timber doubler on top of the pod transom and then cover the whole thing with a couple of layers of glass lapped front and back. There is only half a days work in the job (although it'll take a few by the time you allow for curing of resins and paints. This will let you lift the engine between 15 and 70mm above its current location and when you go to sell the boat people wont even give it a second look.

  6. #36

    Re: How high to lift the motor

    Have you taken it to Al in Allen St Moffat Beach for his assessment?

  7. #37

    Re: How high to lift the motor

    Quote Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
    Have you taken it to Al in Allen St Moffat Beach for his assessment?
    Yes mate, spoken to him a couple of times, he is all for a new pod but one that is level with the bottom of the hull, that means extending the motor leg even lower. Although talking to him today he may go with a modification similar to what Chris is talking about. I have 2 issues, I need to get the motor away from the wash and lift the cave plate higher so a mod is probably the way and there are several ways. I'd like to take the pod off as on close inspection there are stress fractures appearing where it is bolted to the transom. I remember when Allison were still around I enquired on how to access the nuts on several of the lower bolts, turns out these are large coach screws, if I go the way of removing the pod then I would need to put some inspection holes in the sides of the kill tank so that on replacement I can use bolts and nuts. Nothing about this boat has ever been straightforward. I will probably work on Mojoes suggestion first to work out how high I need to go and do some testing (Rob you might have another boat living in your shed for a bit) then get the pod modified.

    This wind has played havoc with your fishing Smithy, a couple of times been down at Kawana and seen Capricorn at her moorings.

  8. #38

    Re: How high to lift the motor

    Geezzzz Sam,
    You send me a dislike then want to use my shed????


    Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Yes mate, spoken to him a couple of times, he is all for a new pod but one that is level with the bottom of the hull, that means extending the motor leg even lower. Although talking to him today he may go with a modification similar to what Chris is talking about. I have 2 issues, I need to get the motor away from the wash and lift the cave plate higher so a mod is probably the way and there are several ways. I'd like to take the pod off as on close inspection there are stress fractures appearing where it is bolted to the transom. I remember when Allison were still around I enquired on how to access the nuts on several of the lower bolts, turns out these are large coach screws, if I go the way of removing the pod then I would need to put some inspection holes in the sides of the kill tank so that on replacement I can use bolts and nuts. Nothing about this boat has ever been straightforward. I will probably work on Mojoes suggestion first to work out how high I need to go and do some testing (Rob you might have another boat living in your shed for a bit) then get the pod modified.

    This wind has played havoc with your fishing Smithy, a couple of times been down at Kawana and seen Capricorn at her moorings.

  9. #39

    Re: How high to lift the motor

    Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    Geezzzz Sam,
    You send me a dislike then want to use my shed????
    Old man syndrome 😠, trouble is once accidently hit can't take it back.

  10. #40

    Re: How high to lift the motor

    I think a nice thick alloy plate is the way to go, use existing holes, that way if it doesn't work, you can just put it back how it was.

  11. #41

    Re: How high to lift the motor

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I think a nice thick alloy plate is the way to go, use existing holes, that way if it doesn't work, you can just put it back how it was.
    If only that simple, to put a plate on I would need to drill an extra set of lower holes in the pod and the old holes plugged, both original top and bottom ones, also the plate would need to be as wide as the pod and additional holes to the side of the motor mounting bracket used. I most probably will go down that pathway after a test run using Mojoes method, although it will have to wait till I get back from Charters Towers.

  12. #42

    Re: How high to lift the motor

    No, I "helped" make a plate just like you need, the plate is held to the pod using existing method (bolt holes) the top motor mounting bolts are above the pod, and use normal nuts and bolts, the bottom motor holes are tapped into the alloy plate and blind bolts are used, the plate we used was about 20mm thick, and has a 250 HP motor bolted to it that is still in use after about 5 years!

  13. #43

    Re: How high to lift the motor

    Was the old 1971 150hp a long shaft 20" & now you have a 25" Extra Long shaft?
    Without looking it up I didn't think they had 25" shafts back in 1971.

  14. #44

    Re: How high to lift the motor

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    No, I "helped" make a plate just like you need, the plate is held to the pod using existing method (bolt holes) the top motor mounting bolts are above the pod, and use normal nuts and bolts, the bottom motor holes are tapped into the alloy plate and blind bolts are used, the plate we used was about 20mm thick, and has a 250 HP motor bolted to it that is still in use after about 5 years!
    I might have to have a discussion with you on my return.

  15. #45

    Re: How high to lift the motor

    Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    Was the old 1971 150hp a long shaft 20" & now you have a 25" Extra Long shaft?
    Without looking it up I didn't think they had 25" shafts back in 1971.
    Fed, you're asking me to remember something from 4 years or more ago, I can't remember yesterday. To be honest I know that the old motor didn't seem to get as buried as this one and I have no idea of the shaft length, I do recall that I didn't have as many problems with the skeg hitting the ramp with the old 2 stroker so maybe I might investigate the conversion back to a 20 inch shaft although the higher I can get the motor above the water the happier I will be, including my mechanic.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us