Thread: Quintrex Spirit 2006 - Sounder loses picture at speed

Quintrex Spirit 2006 - Sounder loses picture at speed

I have a quintrex spirit 2006 and have installed a lowrance elite chirp sounder
    however the sounder only works when going less than 10knots per hour.. i cannot get a clear picture above 10knots which is quiet frustrating

has anyone with a quintrex spirit 2006 had similiar issues ...

it seems like the strakes causes could cause turbulence at speed
    also the deck wash pipe seems to be located in the wrong spot which also could cause issues
    ive tried to cut the deck wash pipe back as much as possible.. see before and after pictures

any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Quintrex Spirit 2006 - Sounder loses picture at speed

Can't see the pictures, wasn't the deck wash there before the sounder install?

hi noelm .. yes the deck wash pipe was already there .. i replaced the old sounder with the lowrance and put the transducer in the same place as the old transducer .. but it seems like the deck wash pipe is in an inconvenient place as it has been place over the plate which as been provided for the transducer attachment

have you been able to view pics .. they seem to be attached from my side

I had to push mine fairly low on my stacer and put a cove over it to stop the spray but it still kisser the bottom if it rough

Kisser=loses

It looks
    (A) badly positioned - should be where the deckwash is, closer to the middle of the gap between the strakes, and
    (B) far too deep. Too deep/low is just as bad as not low enough. Big vortexes will be created by a too deep position and will stuff up the performance.

On alloy boats like that big Quinnie, if you get a straight edge ruler under the hull the transducer should be positioned so its main body is about half way below the line of the hull, with the trailing end slightly lower - maybe 2-3mm - than the leading edge. There is often a seam around the circumference of the transducer and this is a good guide to how deep - it can be lined up with the straight edge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by spud477 View Post
    I had to push mine fairly low on my stacer and put a cove over it to stop the spray but it still kisser the bottom if it rough
    thanks for msg .. are you able to send me picture of how you have your cover setup

thanks for advice .. ill make some adjustments and see how it goes

Those bait pick ups only need to protrude past the hull a few millimeters to work - I actually had to shorten mine and reduce the angle of the cut off as it was over pressurizing the pumps and forcing water past the seals. Agree that the transducer does look a bit deep. I would be minimizing the pick up length and moving the transducer across towards it to get the transducer away from the strake as an initial trial. I wouldn't be too concerned about proximity to the pick up - my last tinnie had a pickup on the strake with a transducer in the space either side and they both worked fine as the pick up was not as deep in the water