Thread: Blue or white cockpit lights?

Blue or white cockpit lights?

Upgrading all lighting to LED while doing some re-wiring, I've not been in a boat with blue cockpit lights but they seem popular so thought I would ask the questiuon while I have the option to choose....

Blue or white cockpit lights?

Blue cockpit lights look cool, I've got blue deck lights. At night the blue LEDs are quite bright and do provide more than enough illumination for most tasks. Except i would have some sort of additional white illumination for (like in my case) sorting the odd tangle and rig reset.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Blue or white cockpit lights?

If you go blue lights your junkie deckies won't thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

So its about the coolness factor then, I got plenty but why not have more

Quote Originally Posted by swof63 View Post
    If you go blue lights your junkie deckies won't thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums
    Don't be so rediculous

we always shoot up during the day

Red if you want to keep your night vision.
    What could go wrong.......................

I guess it depends on if you want to see, or to look good in the harbour or on the trailer!

Has anyone ever checked the legality of Blue Lights. Its illegal for any road going cars,truck,motor bike even bicycles to display blue lights. Blue lights were originally only for use on Police cars and now also for emergency service vehicles only. Just wondering because Police Boats have blue lights.
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Pretty sure cabin/deck/interior blue LEDs or lights won't be an issue regarding legality. If the blue lights or LEDs were vessel mounted signal lights then that's a different story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only go red lights Crunchy if you want Tony knocking at your door.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Red if you want to keep your night vision.

How's your eyes Crunchy. From a personal perspective I have reached a point where while I can still read the smallest print during an eye exam, I need good light to do it. Any coloured light makes this a whole lot more difficult than a good white (and plenty of it) does. The only other colour I may entertain depending on where I was fishing is insect repelling - horrible yellow colour but it works a treat when the bugs are thick. Last time I fished Awoonga we had to tent as the Gladstone construction phase was in full swing and all the cabins were taken. Using an insect repelling fluro in the tent we could leave the lights on with the door open - not a single bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Upgrading all lighting to LED while doing some re-wiring, I've not been in a boat with blue cockpit lights but they seem popular so thought I would ask the questiuon while I have the option to choose....
    Why not buy a string of LED's that can be multicolour? They come with a remote that you use to control the colour and are cheap as on ebay. Alternatively, Korr have some white/blue LED's that are really nice but expensive. I had them on my topender and used blue usually, but white for finicky jobs. Mat.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    How's your eyes Crunchy. From a personal perspective I have reached a point where while I can still read the smallest print during an eye exam, I need good light to do it. Any coloured light makes this a whole lot more difficult than a good white (and plenty of it) does. The only other colour I may entertain depending on where I was fishing is insect repelling - horrible yellow colour but it works a treat when the bugs are thick. Last time I fished Awoonga we had to tent as the Gladstone construction phase was in full swing and all the cabins were taken. Using an insect repelling fluro in the tent we could leave the lights on with the door open - not a single bug.
    That's a very good point Scott, my eyes are phooked and getting more phooked by the day, I think white might be the go for that reason alone....

Quote Originally Posted by mace01 View Post
    Why not buy a string of LED's that can be multicolour? They come with a remote that you use to control the colour and are cheap as on ebay. Alternatively, Korr have some white/blue LED's that are really nice but expensive. I had them on my topender and used blue usually, but white for finicky jobs. Mat.
    They are built in courtesy lights so I'm just changing them out for LED's so the set up is fixed, just the colour can change.

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    Only go red lights Crunchy if you want Tony knocking at your door.....
    There's that freakish "Upper Caboolture" part of you coming to the surface again Rob

Ausfish Bronze Member

I have white in my rig, but I have seen a mate's with interchangeable colour LEDs. He picked up a roll from eBay, cut and soldered, and soldered in a dimmer and selection switch. Red or Blue is far easier on your eyes, and doesn't cause as much 'night blindness'. It also minimises chances of getting seasick offshore at night, as it doesn't cut out the moon or stars as much, so you can still maintain orientation. It has me considering putting blue or red filter on my existing lighting. Goodluck with it.