Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a Battery Charger

Recommend a Battery Charger

Hi All,

I am after a battery charger that will keep my boat battery in good condition while I am away for work. Is there a charger that I can use with the battery still connected in the boat and use to charge the odd car battery as well. No real budget just after a good quality unit.

Battery is a Seamaster Gold MFM70.

Is the Ctek MXS10 suitable?

Re: Recommend a Battery Charger

The Ctek MXS10 would be great.
    It has all the stages of charge (8) that would properly charge your battery and it is also suited for maintenance charging.
    Just make sure if you're maintenance charging that you have all devices off or the battery isolated and preferably charging only one battery at a time (if you have multiple batteries).

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

Had great run with c-tek personally, been using the same charger for > 8 years without a glitch (hope that's not tempting fate)

C-tek again, >10 yrs for me. Got 8yrs out of my last 110 amp gel battery and it was actually still going strong, just thought I might be pushing my luck not replacing it.

If u want far cheaper but still good the Jaycar smart ones are good. U can even go the small one (3.8 amp). About 69 bucks I think

The Pro Mariner chargers with multi-bank outputs are great for dual systems (or triples). Mat

I prefer the $40 ebay specials. They will actually try to charge a dead battery. A few other brands of charger I have basically give up. I run one full time on my Evakool fridge. Seems to work good. The odd one the fan goes after a bit in the salty atmosphere but I have a mate buying C-Teks who has virtually given up on them. He has one on his boat and the other one is in for repair and he keeps taking them back and so on. Buy cheap to start with and then they are a throw away item.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    If u want far cheaper but still good the Jaycar smart ones are good. U can even go the small one (3.8 amp). About 69 bucks I think
    I have used this charger on a SeaMaster Gold for years and can't fault it!
    Cheers,
    Leigh (Kero).

Will the MXS10 charge small 7ah batteries aswell? I use a couple of them when camping.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Plus 1 on the c-tek just check which one is suitable for your needs.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

I just purchased a powerline brand 12v 7ah was only $70 from memory and works really well, has trickle charge function,battery test and 3 battery type modes

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Another vote for the c tek.

I Must be strange. but i prefer Victron chargers or Pro mariner chargers.

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
    I prefer the $40 ebay specials. They will actually try to charge a dead battery. A few other brands of charger I have basically give up. I run one full time on my Evakool fridge. Seems to work good. The odd one the fan goes after a bit in the salty atmosphere but I have a mate buying C-Teks who has virtually given up on them. He has one on his boat and the other one is in for repair and he keeps taking them back and so on. Buy cheap to start with and then they are a throw away item.
    Re dead batteries and getting them to charge, the reason the "smart" chargers don't start the charge is most likely is the standing voltage is below the sensing threshold.
    If you put your charger in power supply mode so it outputs a voltage, this will slowly bring up the battery standing voltage.
    After about an hour then switch over from power supply mode to charge mode and it should charge.
    Some batteries will recharge ok and some are beyond repair if the standing voltage has been too low for too long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

G'day
    I can't comment on other brands but have a Projecta and it works well, is connected when the boat is in the shed
    Had it about 4 years with no problems
    Cheers
    Rod