Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1770 estuary to get dredging study ? really !

1770 estuary to get dredging study ? really !

https://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au...k-dre/3212783/

It's worth a read, but. Forget spending 100K on a study, just dredge the #@#ing thing !!!!!!!!!!!

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: 1770 estuary to get dredging study ? really !

I think these "studies" are just something Gov's are made to do to appease greenies and any number of other tree hugging bodies, they spend heaps, find a shell or a Mosquito in the scrub and the whole thing hits a road block!

There is a very good reason to do these studies and it is common practice for new dredging operations. $100k really is nothing in the scheme of things when you look at the cost of a project of this size.
    Dredging studies usually look at the hydrodynamic impacts of creating a channel as well as environmental impacts from plumes so that they can be mitigate these impacts.
    Fishos would be the first to bitch and moan if the dredging resulted shifts in sandbars, clogging of other estuaries, silting of reefs, impacts on mangroves and other fish habitats.
    The fact that the sandbars are highly mobile and have created the need for dredging highlights the need for a study so that it is done correctly the first time rather than millions of $s being wasted doing it incorrectly so that in 12 months time the channel fills up again and you are back to square one.

Quote Originally Posted by Camhawk88 View Post
    There is a very good reason to do these studies and it is common practice for new dredging operations. $100k really is nothing in the scheme of things when you look at the cost of a project of this size.
    Dredging studies usually look at the hydrodynamic impacts of creating a channel as well as environmental impacts from plumes so that they can be mitigate these impacts.
    Fishos would be the first to bitch and moan if the dredging resulted shifts in sandbars, clogging of other estuaries, silting of reefs, impacts on mangroves and other fish habitats.
    The fact that the sandbars are highly mobile and have created the need for dredging highlights the need for a study so that it is done correctly the first time rather than millions of $s being wasted doing it incorrectly so that in 12 months time the channel fills up again and you are back to square one.
    Well what the hell happened to the Noosa river dredge study!! Some intellectuals do all the hydrodynamic studies, come up with an array of options, implement them at huge cost & just about shut the river down.

Signed, a bitching, moaning fisho

No need.
    They know ohh tooooo wellllllllll.......... that you dredge your own, knucklehead

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Well what the hell happened to the Noosa river dredge study!! Some intellectuals do all the hydrodynamic studies, come up with an array of options, implement them at huge cost & just about shut the river down.

Signed, a bitching, moaning fisho

[QUOTE=Back In Black;1635043]Well what the hell happened to the Noosa river dredge study!! Some intellectuals do all the hydrodynamic studies, come up with an array of options, implement them at huge cost & just about shut the river down.

Signed, a bitching, moaning fisho[/QUOTE/)

Picked the wrong option I guess. Love how people talk about "intellectuals" when it comes to science/engineering. As if an untrained layperson would do a better job.
    I'd rather my GP was an intellectual with an MD than a bloke who learnt medicine through the school of hard knocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    No need.
    They know ohh tooooo wellllllllll.......... that you dredge your own, knucklehead
    At least I have enough fuel in my tanks to make the bar you knob

I think these seat warming "experts" can study all they like, the simple fact remains, sand is blocking an entrance, as long as someone hasn't built a breakwater or the like in the last few years, it simply needs dredging out, the sand pumped way up the beach where it came from, then repeat the process when necessary. I have seen first hand a dozen "studies" done right in front of my house, they built a break wall, the lake silted up, they did another study, extended the break wall, the lake silted up, they did yet another study, and built another wall inside the entrance with a "hook" in it, because some dust sniffing "expert" said it would direct the current flow, taking the sand with it, first decent swell, the wall washed away, and guess what? It is still silting up like it has probably done for thousands of years, get rid of the sand, make an entrance, and keep it clear!

Maybe you should tender for it Noel. You seem better qualified.

By the sounds of things so far,I guess you couldnt do any worse Noel and we would be at least half a Mill$ better off. If it doesnt work,you can say "at least it was a cheap thrill".
    I could use some of that money myself and do an Enviromental Impact Statement and a Feasability Study and still end up with the same results that you have already mentioned and I will do it for them on the cheap. Keep me occupied for a few hours and the best part is ,I dont have to give guarantees.Winner winner chicken dinner! Waddayarekkon?
    tug-tellum
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Whatever the research study finds the govt will declare the best option too expenzive and IF they do anything it will be a short term patch.
    Not an easy fix without a northern wall to the estuary.....my guess is the best option will be building a northern rock wall out to level with the headland to force a higher current flow and keep the channel scoured deep.
    Biggest problem with this is they will need to build 20km of heavy haul road to deliver the boulders.
    Jack.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Probably going against the tide here, (no pun intended) but I'd save the study and leave it as it has been from the start of time.

I might be biased with being a home owner in Agnes, but looking at the weekend just gone there was an incredible amount of boats in town and the ramp car park was chockers and over flowing along Captain Cook drive. With that I think a little forward planning in tide times, your entry and exit from round hill creek shouldn't be that hard.

I understand the VMR would probably benefit from the dredging, but as I stated with the amount of boats now frequently out fishing it is not as remote or quiet as it once was and assisting any one in distress until they arrive shouldn't be to concerning.

In my opinion $100,000 would be better spent extending the pontoon in length to offer more docking room to the growing number of boats waiting to launch and retrieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Camhawk88 View Post
    Maybe you should tender for it Noel. You seem better qualified.
    Never said I was more qualified, but, I have been on more working parties and lake committees than I can remember, and they all end up the same, someone with a piece of paper to say he is "intellectual" turns up, does a "study" and suggests a break wall, a boat ramp with X degree grade, or something else, usually against locals (who actually have boats) input, spend millions of dollars and end up just like it was before, or worse.

Dredging apparently is a lost cause but IMHO it is probably the cheapest option. Here's a good one, Kirra used to be one of best surfers beach on the Gold Coast, the Tweed Head walls got extended,oh! sand pumping now has to be implemented.

End result, Tweed Bar is still as bad as it ever was, Kirra Beach is now a kilometer wide and the surf break has disappeared.

I was here on the Sunshine Coast when cyclone Roger came through, the entire 10 acres of Happy Valley where the carnival was held every Xmas disappeared overnight. The Caloundra bar has changed and keeps changing, I had a look at my gps marks from last year and compared them to 2 years previous and the top of Bribie Island had moved 500 meters.

My preference is to let nature take its course. If people want to build houses right on the foreshore then they take the risk of it falling into the sea. 1770 should be the same, either dredge it every now and then or leave it alone. I have to go out of Mooloolaba these days as Caloundra Bar is pretty bad for any boat that requires 400 mm or more draught. I live with it but do pray for a cyclone to come down the coast as that will fix most bars.

I do agree that some studies should be undertaken but more in the line of where the dredged sand should go.

No one will lift a finger until full environmental impact studies have been done and spoil disposal options have been explored and costed. They will need to take bottom samples and someone in a position of power will have to make a decision on what gets dredged and by how much. This will dictate what equipment is required. Dredging is expensive to start with and with the brew-ha-ha over the Gladstone dredging and GBRMPA involvement, there will be eyes and fingers all over this pie which will only make it worse.