Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Garmin GMI10 Fuel Flow Calibration - Is It Possible?

Garmin GMI10 Fuel Flow Calibration - Is It Possible?

Hi All,
    After doing a trip over the weekend and finding myself stranded 12kms offshore out of fuel and my fuel management system saying I still had 47 litres in the tank.
    So I need to ask the question.
    Can the Garmin GMI10 be calibrated to suit?
    I have always known and thought it was about 2% out but this time ( and maybe many times before ) it was out by about 8.40%.
    I had a bladder filled with 100litres but ran out with a reading of 98litres burned, hence the 2%.
    But over 560 litres to be 8.40% out is a little bit of a difference on the same trip.
    I understand that the Garmin GMI10 is a head unit that only displays what the Suzuki interface transmits to it, but can it be adjusted?
    The only other option I can think of is setting my fuel capacity 40 odd litres less to combat this.
    It now makes me wonder how many times I have come back on fumes in the past with 70 to 80 litres so called in reserve thinking I had plenty as I have never run it this lean before.
    Suggestions anyone?

Cheers Rob.

Re: Garmin GMI10 Fuel Flow Calibration - Is It Possible?

Gday Rob, yes I believe Garmin have admitted to an 8% error and apparently fixed this in an update about 12 months or so ago? I did the update but I haven't noticed a difference to be honest. I haven't checked recently so will try again with the new updates. Reducing your full capacity figure is probably your safest bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Don't believe the GMI10 can be calibrated but the Suzuki interface can be Rob. I have a Lowrance unit we can set up to do the calibration if required and also compare fuel usage totals. Worth looking for some of Moonlighters posts - he has collected quite a bit of info with the various versions of software and the issues etc. Not being a Suzuki user I haven't totally kept abreast of it. The E-Tec fuel use is spot on by the way

Cheers Lee,
    I don't think it's the GMI10 as I believe it's just a display to what information it receives from another source.
    I could be wrong, but think it might be the Suzuki computer that outputs the data.
    The GMI 10 could be programmed to suit the 8.40% adjustment but is the output data coming from the source incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post
    Gday Rob, yes I believe Garmin have admitted to an 8% error and apparently fixed this in an update about 12 months or so ago? I did the update but I haven't noticed a difference to be honest. I haven't checked recently so will try again with the new updates. Reducing your full capacity figure is probably your safest bet.

You may be right with that Rob, I think I was told that i needed to have both engines keys on when the update was done which I wasn't aware of at the time? I believe this is why mine hasn't worked? I know of another Riptide with twin 140's and the update corrected his to now be perfect. Certainly worth investigating

The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Thanks Scottar,
    Sounds like your coming for a drive to Upper Caboolture sometime.......make sure you lock your car doors when sitting idle at the traffic lights
    Jason thought it was quite funny.
    I tried to get him back up to tow me in to avoid embarrassment

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Don't believe the GMI10 can be calibrated but the Suzuki interface can be Rob. I have a Lowrance unit we can set up to do the calibration if required and also compare fuel usage totals. Worth looking for some of Moonlighters posts - he has collected quite a bit of info with the various versions of software and the issues etc. Not being a Suzuki user I haven't totally kept abreast of it. The E-Tec fuel use is spot on by the way

You must be very familiar with the stern end of Noosa Cats by now Rob, chasing Jason around & then getting dragged back by Coast Guard

Just out of interest, why didn't you radio coast guard??

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    You must be very familiar with the stern end of Noosa Cats by now Rob, chasing Jason around & then getting dragged back by Coast Guard

Tony, you haven't been talking to Jason, have you.

In reality Rob just wanted to keep the airways clear for others in "real" emergencies. 😉 BTW, the VMR did an excellant job and we're very professional and their assistance was greatly appreciated.

I only get about 5-8% accuracy with the GMI10 on the Honda and that's after having done the update b ut yeh I don't try to cut it as fine as you Rob ....

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post

In reality Rob just wanted to keep the airways clear for others in "real" emergencies.  BTW, the VMR did an excellant job and we're very professional and their assistance was greatly appreciated.
    Jason who??

Maverick can't keep up with the frigate
    Only good thing about the cat was that it had Suzi's on the back of it

Tony, because I was in mobile range and as Sam said we didn't want to hog the airways for a real emergency

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post

I think so Sam, are you surprised?????
    Yes, VMR were fantastic and very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post

In reality Rob just wanted to keep the airways clear for others in "real" emergencies.  BTW, the VMR did an excellant job and we're very professional and their assistance was greatly appreciated.

Oh well Crunchy it's the only way you find out about these problems.
    As long as it doesn't happen on a bar
    Lesson learnt

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    I only get about 5-8% accuracy with the GMI10 on the Honda and that's after having done the update b ut yeh I don't try to cut it as fine as you Rob ....

So who's doing the upper cut and who's coming over the top with a flying kick so I can block them Tony?
    I supposed that's a silly question as Jas wouldn't be able to lift his leg higher than my knee cap

QUOTE=Back In Black;1635018]Jason who??[/QUOTE]

Ok, here's the pic.
    Moejoes Tow.jpg