Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Garmin GMI10 Fuel Flow Calibration - Is It Possible?

Re: Garmin GMI10 Fuel Flow Calibration - Is It Possible?

I will never leave home without my trusty marked broom stick, I will get you one if you like, can even make it a Garmin

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    Neither the GMI10 or Suzuki interface can be calibrated... only a Lowrance system can be calibrated but that stays with the lowrance unit
    Certainly used to be able to calibrate the engine interface. Any idea on when this changed Gary?

I'll call Jeffers tomorrow and see what Keith or Phil thinks.
    Phil is quite knowledgeable.
    My understanding is that the GMI10 only receives the data that the motor outputs.
    So is the engine computer giving out incorrect information?

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Certainly used to be able to calibrate the engine interface. Any idea on when this changed Gary?

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    My understanding is that the GMI10 only receives the data that the motor outputs.
    So is the engine computer giving out incorrect information?
    Maybe. I haven't looked too hard - been busy20170814_181427[1].jpg, but there is mention of the Garmin display handling rounding in a less than accurate fashion when doing fuel remaining/used. Ultimately over a fair bit of fuel this could produce errors. There is also reports (have seen first hand many years ago) of erroneous fuel consumption data coming from the interface - calibration fixed this. Ideally I would be thinking add a Lowrance display to the network temporarily as both a means of calibration (if this is still possible) and comparison to the Garmin numbers

You have a serious problem Scottar 😆
    The part I don't get is I filled the bladder with 100ltrs.
    The GMI10 read 98.1ltrs when it ran dry.
    So say 2% inaccuracy which it always seemed to be and what I factured in when coming back.
    I should've had 20 odd litres in the kitty as I allowed for also an additional 20litres inaccuracy. Have to admit was lean but doable.
    But over 560ltrs it said I had 47ltrs left which equates to 8.4%.
    How can it increase by another 6.4%?
    I wouldve made it back if I'd run it a little slower but thought I'd had enough so ran a little harder.
    Something I need to sort.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Maybe. I haven't looked too hard - been busy20170814_181427[1].jpg, but there is mention of the Garmin display handling rounding in a less than accurate fashion when doing fuel remaining/used. Ultimately over a fair bit of fuel this could produce errors. There is also reports (have seen first hand many years ago) of erroneous fuel consumption data coming from the interface - calibration fixed this. Ideally I would be thinking add a Lowrance display to the network temporarily as both a means of calibration (if this is still possible) and comparison to the Garmin numbers

Just a left field here moejoes
    And probably wrong but it sort of does add up what if it is out by 2% roughly per every 100litres? Accumulates to a high percentage due to high amounts of fuel?

If you had a larger fuel Bladder maybe you could Test with that? Say 200litres?

560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

There was mention of a version of GMI10 software that would "freeze". Don't know whether that was all functions or simply fuel - worth looking into.

Garmin GMI10 Fuel Flow Calibration - Is It Possible?

The Suzuki interfaces are outputting data to the network and the Garmins are interpreting and displaying it.

As someone mentioned earlier, Garmin had some software issues a while ago that were contributing to the errors, so first thing is to update both of them to the latest software. Dont need to have both keys turned on for this, that only applies when updating engine interface software.

Next, to get the fuel results 100% accurate (or very close to that) you need to calibrate the Suzuki interfaces. On several boats I have set up, mine included, we are always within 0.5% after proper calibration has been done. Usually closer. Once done, it stays right. The biggest differences then occur because the boat is filled up to different "fullness" because the petrol station is at a different angle and the tanks fill to a higher or lower level.

This calibration can only be done using a Navico (Lowrance/Simrad) display temporarily attached to the network - a HDS, Elite Ti, NSS, NSE, GO series etc will do the job. Or, a LowranceLMF400 or Suzuki SMIS gauge. Because they are powered by the network, the easiest one to temporarily attach to the network are the LMF/SMIS gauges.

If you know a friendly Suzuki dealer, they may loan you one of those so you can do it yourself. A carton of XXXX usually helps.

Each engine's interface has to be calibrated separately. And you might need to calibrate maybe 3 times to get the correction right. So on twins you need to know how much fuel each engine has used and this info will be available on the network.

There is only 1 way to calibrate properly:

1. fill the tanks to full, reset them to full, and go fishing, burn at least 1/3 tank.
    2. Then go back to same garage and same bowser if possible (so the boat is on the same angle) and fill up again, try to fill to same "fullness" as previously.
    3. Compare actual fuel used to what the system says. Make a note.
    4. Then do the refuel process on the SMIS, and select the option to fill tanks, then select calibrate, it will ask you to input actual fuel used. Do that and complete the process. Done. This adjusts the K-factor and it is the factor that adjusts fuel data.

As I say, on twin engines the assumption is that each engine is attached to its own tank, and as you can see from the above this is necessary so you know individually what fuel each engine has used so you can calibrate it separately.

When the network is first set up, it is set up as 2 engines/2 tanks, this arrangement would be typical on most cats so shouldn't present an issue. Each engine is named as other port or starboard so the system then can differentiate between them.

There is a workaround for a 2 engines/1 tank setup but it involves some guesswork, but can be done.

Anyway that is the gist of it. Any questions ask and I will answer if I can.

By the way, this is the same procedure I would recommend to anyone who has set up a new Suzuki network using the interface cables. You dont know how accurate it will be out of the box, so checking it using this procedure is the smart way to go.

However, the new Suzuki networks using the new colour gauges dont use interface cables so this procedure doesnt apply to them. They are reportedly 100% straight out of the box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Thanks for that Moonlighter.
    I already have the latest version 3.70 loaded.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, all I need to do is:
    Current fuel used was 560 ltrs
    GMI 10 reading was 47 litres
    Equates to 8.393% discrepancy
    So based on my main tank being 460 litres
    GMI 10 reading should have been 38.61 litres at 8.393%
    So fuel used would be 460 - 38.61 = 421.39 fuel used.
    Will I need to halve the extrapolated 421.39 litres of fuel left to equal 210.695 litres used per motor per GMI 10 head unit?
    I'm not after an exact configuration but something close by less than 2% will do.
    Has to be better than what I currently have

Cheers Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    The Suzuki interfaces are outputting data to the network and the Garmins are interpreting and displaying it.

As someone mentioned earlier, Garmin had some software issues a while ago that were contributing to the errors, so first thing is to update both of them to the latest software. Dont need to have both keys turned on for this, that only applies when updating engine interface software.

Next, to get the fuel results 100% accurate (or very close to that) you need to calibrate the Suzuki interfaces. On several boats I have set up, mine included, we are always within 0.5% after proper calibration has been done. Usually closer. Once done, it stays right. The biggest differences then occur because the boat is filled up to different "fullness" because the petrol station is at a different angle and the tanks fill to a higher or lower level.

This calibration can only be done using a Navico (Lowrance/Simrad) display temporarily attached to the network - a HDS, Elite Ti, NSS, NSE, GO series etc will do the job. Or, a LowranceLMF400 or Suzuki SMIS gauge. Because they are powered by the network, the easiest one to temporarily attach to the network are the LMF/SMIS gauges.

If you know a friendly Suzuki dealer, they may loan you one of those so you can do it yourself. A carton of XXXX usually helps.

Each engine's interface has to be calibrated separately. And you might need to calibrate maybe 3 times to get the correction right. So on twins you need to know how much fuel each engine has used and this info will be available on the network.

There is only 1 way to calibrate properly:

1. fill the tanks to full, reset them to full, and go fishing, burn at least 1/3 tank.
    2. Then go back to same garage and same bowser if possible (so the boat is on the same angle) and fill up again, try to fill to same "fullness" as previously.
    3. Compare actual fuel used to what the system says. Make a note.
    4. Then do the refuel process on the SMIS, and select the option to fill tanks, then select calibrate, it will ask you to input actual fuel used. Do that and complete the process. Done. This adjusts the K-factor and it is the factor that adjusts fuel data.

As I say, on twin engines the assumption is that each engine is attached to its own tank, and as you can see from the above this is necessary so you know individually what fuel each engine has used so you can calibrate it separately.

When the network is first set up, it is set up as 2 engines/2 tanks, this arrangement would be typical on most cats so shouldn't present an issue. Each engine is named as other port or starboard so the system then can differentiate between them.

There is a workaround for a 2 engines/1 tank setup but it involves some guesswork, but can be done.

Anyway that is the gist of it. Any questions ask and I will answer if I can.

By the way, this is the same procedure I would recommend to anyone who has set up a new Suzuki network using the interface cables. You dont know how accurate it will be out of the box, so checking it using this procedure is the smart way to go.

However, the new Suzuki networks using the new colour gauges dont use interface cables so this procedure doesnt apply to them. They are reportedly 100% straight out of the box.

They the figures I worked out for you Rob??

Couldn't have done it without your intellectual help Tony.
    Just like my chain set up.
    By the way, I only had to show Sam the chains setup once. He is all over it

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    They the figures I worked out for you Rob??

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    Couldn't have done it without your intellectual help Tony.
    Just like my chain set up.
    By the way, I only had to show Sam the chains setup once. He is all over it
    But Sam is a mechanical engineer

You'd need to be to work out that dinky unit........

Garmin GMI10 Fuel Flow Calibration - Is It Possible?

Your figures are totally confusing to me..... maybe its the head cold I have but anyway .....

With this system, every time you add fuel to the tank, you have to go into the fuel menu and tell it that you have either refilled the tank to full, or that you have only added x amount but not filled the tank. So you should never have used more fuel than the tank's capacity.

If you have a separate bladder that you use on long trips, you will have to fudge things in the system to account for it one way or another.... i would probably set a low fuel alarm at 20 litres less than capacity of the aux tank (if it was less than my main tank), this way I would get a warning when the aux tank was about to run out. Then when it ran out and I switched to the main tank, I would then go into refuel menu and reset to full. The system will then know it has the main tank full to use.

Anyway, if you are saying that you have 2 engines drawing from 1 tank, yes, you could assume each engine consumed 1/2 of the fuel. You would then calibrate each interface pretty much as I described. But again, it can only be done using one of those displays that I listed.

The "text book" way to calibrate when you have 2 engines drawing from a single tank is to fill the tank, reset to full, then go out and run only one engine and burn at least 25 litres of fuel. Refill tank, and calibrate that engine as per my previous advice.

Then do the same thing with the other.

Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I'm all over it Moonlighter, I hope
    What I do when using the bladder is have the system set to full fuel tank capacity Eg: 460 litres.
    I take note of how many litres I put in the bladder Eg: 100 litres
    Then run on the bladder first to get rid of that fuel and monitor my GMI10 by how much fuel I've used until I get down to near empty and wait til totally drained.
    Note: I never run the bladder nearly dry if I know I'll be close to any tight areas or crossing a bar.
    I always calculate how much fuel I'll intend on burning to where I'm going when filling the bladder.
    Once emptied I then reset the GMI10 to fill tank level back to full Eg: 460 and go from there.

Popped into Jeffers this arvo and had a chat to Keith & Ben about the 1.9% to 8.39% discrepancy.
    They think that it could be a dodgy T piece connector or because I only have one power source connected into the backbone system causing it to drop in and out occassionally.
    I got another power cable and will connect it to see what happens.
    They also loaned me a unit and I'll reset the discrepancy to 2% for now as that is what I always thought it was.
    Will have to wait and see what happens from there

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Your figures are totally confusing to me..... maybe its the head cold I have but anyway .....

With this system, every time you add fuel to the tank, you have to go into the fuel menu and tell it that you have either refilled the tank to full, or that you have only added x amount but not filled the tank. So you should never have used more fuel than the tank's capacity.

If you have a separate bladder that you use on long trips, you will have to fudge things in the system to account for it one way or another.... i would probably set a low fuel alarm at 20 litres less than capacity of the aux tank (if it was less than my main tank), this way I would get a warning when the aux tank was about to run out. Then when it ran out and I switched to the main tank, I would then go into refuel menu and reset to full. The system will then know it has the main tank full to use.

Anyway, if you are saying that you have 2 engines drawing from 1 tank, yes, you could assume each engine consumed 1/2 of the fuel. You would then calibrate each interface pretty much as I described. But again, it can only be done using one of those displays that I listed.

The "text book" way to calibrate when you have 2 engines drawing from a single tank is to fill the tank, reset to full, then go out and run only one engine and burn at least 25 litres of fuel. Refill tank, and calibrate that engine as per my previous advice.

Then do the same thing with the other.

Gday Rob, I am keen to hear how this pans out because I have had this same discrepancy of about 8% from new. I also run 2 power leads to my nmea network. I will be keen to talk with you about results.

Good luck
    Lee

The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh