Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minn Kota Trim Tabs update.

Minn Kota Trim Tabs update.

After talking to Masterbaiter a couple of weeks ago I now realise that the issue I had was probably in the rams themselves so I decided to have a look at them. At first I thought I would deploy the port tab but nothing happened, bugger, here we go again. So with Masterbaiters guidance I stripped the port Ram lo and behold I found corrosion on the circuit board.

Now trying to do tis myself as the boss, like most bosses is pretty useless, I depressed the switch (put a rubber band around the lot) on the microswitch that was mostly corroded and when trying the switches found that it would operate in UP mode. Thinking the reverse should apply I depressed the other microswitch after removing the rubber band of course but the DOWN switch would not operate.

Tried twice just to make sure, this now has me in a quandary as I am going away for a while and was hoping to use the boat on my return. I will clean up the connections and maybe a resolder to see if that makes a difference, but I was surprised that the microswitch that did work was the one with corroded terminals.

I might have a bit of a play tomorrow before I head off, maybe with luck its just a microswitch and I just have to put it back together although I will replace the O rings as they appear to be letting moisture in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Minn Kota Trim Tabs update.

That solder joint on the yellow wire looks very suspect, clean it up, re-strip the wire and re-solder as a first go. Put a multimeter across the switch terminals to see if its making contact when pressed.

Check with Moejoes first.................

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    That solder joint on the yellow wire looks very suspect, clean it up, re-strip the wire and re-solder as a first go. Put a multimeter across the switch terminals to see if its making contact when pressed.
    Will be cleaning all the terminals up an resoldering, just a nuisance it's happened now. I was pretty well over the tabs thinking it was in the switches but if I can't sort this out looking for replacement. Thought I'd do it all at the same time as my pod but can't wait that long. And whitworths don't sell Bennett tabs anymore and with their 15% off would have just replaced them.

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Check with Moejoes first.................
    Tony, your not saying there is a tie in with the the Garmin fuel gauge are you.

Stop being a tight a#$@ and buy some new ones

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    Stop being a tight a#$@ and buy some new ones
    Agreed but spent the money on a new rod and electric reel. It's the rewiring etc that's a major PIA.It all goes through the pods, do probably do 8t all at the same time, just that timing is crap as was planning to do it all during summer when the weather was crap.

You might be better off building a new boat in Rob's shed at this rate make sure you puta big enough fuel tank in it though

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
    You might be better off building a new boat in Rob's shed at this rate make sure you puta big enough fuel tank in it though

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Or I could buy his at a discount price, after all it has a few bugs like running out of fuel and a pair of suzis, Rob is in the market for a new one. I wonder if he'll let me store it in his shed.

And the gauges dont tell the truth should pick it up pretty cheap

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Tony, your not saying there is a tie in with the the Garmin fuel gauge are you.
    Nah Sam, more than likely linked to Moejoes dinky trailer tie down thingy........

Or I could buy his at a discount price, after all it has a few bugs like running out of fuel and a pair of suzis, Rob is in the market for a new one. I wonder if he'll let me store it in his shed.
    End of the day, its a piece of crap. Shocking in a following sea, inaccurate gauges, suzis on the back.

What a disaster...............

[QUOTE=Back In Black;1635359]Nah Sam, more than likely linked to Moejoes dinky trailer tie

The most maligned piece of equipment he owns. Probably the only thing that works so might have to pay a premium for it.

Not knowing enough about how the electronics work and I can't get a response from the manufacturers in the good old USA, I've tracked down a set of Lenco at the right price so probably the quickest way for me to go, I just have to check the actuator length. I notice they come in 2 styles, tapered edge and an edge mount, what's the difference. Also my current size is 12 inch by 9 inch, I was looking to putting 12 inch by 12 inch on, will the extra length cause me any problems, there is plenty of room as the pod is 730mm long. The current size is generally ok the only time I've wished for more is when I've had an unbalanced boat with 2 large guys on board.

Will be cleaning all the terminals up an resoldering, just a nuisance it's happened now. I was pretty well over the tabs thinking it was in the switches but if I can't sort this out looking for replacement. Thought I'd do it all at the same time as my pod but can't wait that long. And whitworths don't sell Bennett tabs anymore and with their 15% off would have just replaced them.

Boating & RV stock Bennetts but not sure if whole kits or parts too