Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Garmin GMI10 Fuel Flow Calibration - Is It Possible?

Re: Garmin GMI10 Fuel Flow Calibration - Is It Possible?

Thanks Scottar, noted the additional power source.
    Nothing complicated on Moejoes unless you're simple minded - Just ask Dignity, if he can do it, anyone can, well almost anyone - Won't mention names here
    Can't be that difficult, you are all looking into it way toooooooo much

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Bit more complicated than that Rob. Have a bit of a read of the Maretron NMEA2000 installation guide. The calculations required take into account network length and LEN's (Load equivalency numbers). Each device in it's specs should have a LEN that is used for this. In practice though mate it is not something I have ever needed to take into account on a trailer boat - they are simply neither big or complicated enough when you look at the network design parameters (although by Tony's account, some things on Moejoe's are pretty complex) . Biggest network I have played with was an 8 tee network that did have two separate power sources but also had an isolation cable fitted - some of the network needed full time power but some only when the engines were on. If you are adding a second power lead, make sure it comes from the same supply point as the first unless there is an isolation device fitted

https://www.maretron.com/products/pd...on%20Guide.pdf

I'm going to colour code it all for dummy's

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    And we all know how hard that is.............

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    I'm going to colour code it all for dummy's
    Thanks mate.........................

Hang on, are you calling me a dummy

Thanks Moonlighter
    I don't see how the additional power supply could do damage as it's just another power supply running parallel so same voltage just less likely to drop as much if others are drawing from the system.
    I'll find out .
    I have the calibration gauge on loan, Keith said I'll have hours of amusement trying to figure it out.
    At least he supplied the manual

Maybe I should just get the new 200hps which don't have the interface and are supposably 100% accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

The splitter power leads you are referring to are made by Garmin amongst others, to allow one half of the network to be powered while the other is off. The ones I mentioned are a bit different, dual or triple power nodes that all connect thru one T piece with the aim of ensuring the network always has power when one or the other source is turned off.

I don't know what damage can be done with 2 separate power supplies, have never been brave enough to test it, but I guess we will know soon enough. Fingers crossed for you guys that it doesn't damage anything too badly!

Before you add a second power supply, your could try relocating the power supply to a T in the middle of the cluster. That is the recommended practice on larger networks in any case, and usually deals with the power drop issues.

Note that most devices on the network are not powered by it, the newer Garmin GMI-10's are, and things like GPS pucks and the like, all of which have very low power draws. Other devices like MFD's on some examples draw a tiny amount to run their N2K circuits, but not to run their normal functions.

Even the Suzuki engine interfaces are not powered by the bus, they are powered from their connection to the engine, despite what some people will try to tell you.

So not sure what the 7 devices might be that are drawing so much power from the network that a second supply is needed in this case?

Anyway, let us know if you need further assistance. I still think you will need to calibrate, it is a pretty common thing to have to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh stop it Scottar..... you trying to scare me now

Worst case scenario - lots of smoke possibly some flames and an insurance claim in the event of a negative supply failure for one of the power supplies. Provided all power supply inputs originate at the same battery this should not be an issue. Where it becomes a problem is if one negative from one battery and one from another battery in parallel are connected to the bus and then one of the supply negative connections fails thus leaving the bus negative to be the only "tiebar" connection for negative. Positive power feeds are typically fused and will thus "disconnect" in a high current flow situation - negatives aren't typically and thus get real hot real quick unless there is isolation within the bus.

I didn't mention names.
    Don't put yourself down like that Tony, that's our job

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Thanks mate.........................

Hang on, are you calling me a dummy

Bananas had some 300's you could have had 😉

A nice set of twin 175hp Suzis would make your boat fly

Hey Rob - I'm slowly winning20170824_193956[1].jpg20170824_193947[1].jpg20170824_194041[1].jpg

How are you getting on?

Looks good Scottar,
    I've done nothing this week.
    Too many late nights home after work.
    My trailers still jacked up and need to finish off the bearings
    Haven't had a chance to even look at the GMI10 calibration as yet.
    Hopefully this week.

Hey Rob - I'm slowly winning20170824_193956[1].jpg20170824_193947[1].jpg20170824_194041[1].jpg

How are you getting on?