Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Trying the deeper water off Caloundra

Re: Trying the deeper water off Caloundra

Oouch alright!!!! Interesting but being that far out. What gauges are you running? I am running the GMI 10 and I believe there is a known 8% error in the gauges. Apparently one of the updates was meant to rectify this but it didn't change anything on mine? I reckon mine are pretty well exactly that 8% out. I have even put my total fuel onboard figure 10% less than capacity and work off what's remaining and not what's used and it is pretty close.
    How many km did you cover to use that fuel?
    Did you get to fish the deep water?
    Was the weather as good as expected? It was pretty breezy down here on Sunday until lunch time.

Yeh will certainly persist with this deep water gig, got pretty excited when we hooked something. It was on 80lb mono main line and 200lb trace and she just busted the main line down deep. Obviously too excited!!!
    Hopefully got a few days up at Noosa early October so will hopefully try again then if I can't get real wide before that.

Good to hear you had a successful trip other than the few hiccups.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Cheers Lee,
    You just confirmed my new thread as I didn't want to hi-jack your thread

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post
    Oouch alright!!!! Interesting but being that far out. What gauges are you running? I am running the GMI 10 and I believe there is a known 8% error in the gauges. Apparently one of the updates was meant to rectify this but it didn't change anything on mine? I reckon mine are pretty well exactly that 8% out. I have even put my total fuel onboard figure 10% less than capacity and work off what's remaining and not what's used and it is pretty close.
    How many km did you cover to use that fuel?
    Did you get to fish the deep water?
    Was the weather as good as expected? It was pretty breezy down here on Sunday until lunch time.

Yeh will certainly persist with this deep water gig, got pretty excited when we hooked something. It was on 80lb mono main line and 200lb trace and she just busted the main line down deep. Obviously too excited!!!
    Hopefully got a few days up at Noosa early October so will hopefully try again then if I can't get real wide before that.

Good to hear you had a successful trip other than the few hiccups.

We done 440kms for 560ltrs
    The other 76ltrs was for the coast guard
    Strange feeling to be doing 22knots without the engines running
    We fished 50 to 400mtrs.
    Fish were not chewing at all in the shallows for us, still was tough in the deeper as well but managed some good fish.
    Weather was good.
    Plenty of whales around, that's for sure. They are everywhere this time of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    We done 440kms for 560ltrs
    The other 76ltrs was for the coast guard
    Strange feeling to be doing 22knots without the engines running
    We fished 50 to 400mtrs.
    Fish were not chewing at all in the shallows for us, still was tough in the deeper as well but managed some good fish.
    Weather was good.
    Plenty of whales around, that's for sure. They are everywhere this time of the year.
    Must have been all down your way. Bundy to Port Alma return saw one spout the whole way - nice weather though.

Nice one Lee,
    Just keep chipping away at it.
    We had a great trip. I do need to review my fuel management system tho.
    It said I still had 47 litres in the tank - Go figure???
    Only burnt 636 litres after running out 12 kms off shore and getting the coast guard to pick me up - Oouch!!!!!.
    Then the stint of bad luck started.
    Think I got a speed ticket on the way home by being just over going down hill.
    Then woke up this morning to a flat on the car
    Just another one of those cheap fishing trips...............Attachment 116054
    Rob, your attachment didn't work.

Lee, what did I warn you about Rob, even he's confirmed it. I think his fuel issues are more to do with the amount of food we have, I keep coming back from these trips 4 kg heavier. 😆😆

Even with the unfortunate events sounds like a great trip. I Bet it was scary to have both engines just die, that would be my worst nightmare.

The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Sam,
    Photo on my other thread.
    Don't blame me for your weight gain on Moejoes.
    You need to cut back on the beers buddy
    You could've had some of Jason's carrot and celery sticks instead

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Rob, your attachment didn't work.

Lee, what did I warn you about Rob, even he's confirmed it. I think his fuel issues are more to do with the amount of food we have, I keep coming back from these trips 4 kg heavier. 

Always good to get out and forget about the world.
    It's the frill of not knowing what will happen when out there.
    Catch fish or not, hit a whale or not, break down or not, sink or not, get flogged or not ( By the ocean that is )
    A little concerning.
    More so if on a bar or in rough conditions, then I'd be peaking.
    Do you have twin fuel tanks Lee?

Even with the unfortunate events sounds like a great trip. I Bet it was scary to have both engines just die, that would be my worst nightmare.

Exactly right Rob, any day on the water is better than being at work.
    No I don't have twin tanks, just a single. Twin tanks was an option but realistically I could never see myself filling up from different fuel sources. Most of my filling is done from drums.
    If you use a trip to 1770 as an example, there is really only one servo to fuel up at so if you put bad fuel in 2 tanks isn't going to save you either is it?

Sam,
    Photo on my other thread.
    Don't blame me for your weight gain on Moejoes.
    You need to cut back on the beers buddy
    You could've had some of Jason's carrot and celery sticks instead
    Bugger that, it sent him bananas, nothing wrong with your food, just missus keeps mentioning that I put all my weight back on after the trip.

So true.
    Put it this way, I'm not going to tow 500kgs of fuel if I don't have too.

Exactly right Rob, any day on the water is better than being at work.
    No I don't have twin tanks, just a single. Twin tanks was an option but realistically I could never see myself filling up from different fuel sources. Most of my filling is done from drums.
    If you use a trip to 1770 as an example, there is really only one servo to fuel up at so if you put bad fuel in 2 tanks isn't going to save you either is it?

So true.
    Put it this way, I'm not going to tow 500kgs of fuel if I don't have too.
    Obviously. If you did you'd make it back with out having to make a coast guard donation

Oh well,
    I just joined the coast guard today and gave them another donation just in case it happens again

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Obviously. If you did you'd make it back with out having to make a coast guard donation