Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trying the deeper water off Caloundra

Re: Trying the deeper water off Caloundra

Thanks guys for the tips. I do have a tyrnos 30 with a standard handle but only has 50lb braid on it. Maybe this is a better option for the retrieval rate than the tld? Certainly will be an interesting morning, especially if we were to hook something

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post
    Thanks guys for the tips. I do have a tyrnos 30 with a standard handle but only has 50lb braid on it. Maybe this is a better option for the retrieval rate than the tld? Certainly will be an interesting morning, especially if we were to hook something

If you've got the drag set right 50lb is ideal imo. Less drag in the water and the fish have generally given up after the first 50m or so.

Hi Marto, interesting and valid points. I might start on that reel and see how it goes.
    Cheers
    Lee

The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Have a good think about a custom handle. Mine is about 250mm long with one of Bluebottle fishing's T-bar handles on it. Fishing 24 ounce leads is pretty easy and once harnessed can pretty much keep pace with a Daiwa electric on an unloaded return for a couple of hours fishing at least. Even with a double header of reasonable fish I just set the drag and wind - just don't crank up the drag too much or with the extra leverage you could strip gears. I fabricated the the blank from 4mm stainless and polished it up. Have also seen similar done with laser cutting.

50 pound will be fine with any sort of weight you will want to pull manually on a rod and reel. We have fished up to 32 ounces in a bit of run in 150 with it.

Stuff that

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Have a good think about a custom handle. Mine is about 250mm long with one of Bluebottle fishing's T-bar handles on it. Fishing 24 ounce leads is pretty easy and once harnessed can pretty much keep pace with a Daiwa electric on an unloaded return for a couple of hours fishing at least. Even with a double header of reasonable fish I just set the drag and wind - just don't crank up the drag too much or with the extra leverage you could strip gears. I fabricated the the blank from 4mm stainless and polished it up. Have also seen similar done with laser cutting.

How did you go today Lee?

No Moejoes, not going until Sunday morning

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    Stuff that
    Do I need to send you some concrete tablets Rob. In W.A. we did 400 metres this way mate - that's a long way up.

Mate, you know I like to use electrics in 2 meters of water

Do I need to send you some concrete tablets Rob. In W.A. we did 400 metres this way mate - that's a long way up.

Crikey Scottar, that is some serious leverage!!!!! I'll look into that until I catch something and then get the bug for an electric. I know that once I catch something out there that I will be keen to pursue it further.

I thought you were going today.
    Bugger, was keen to know how you went.

No Moejoes, not going until Sunday morning

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    Mate, you know I like to use electrics in 2 meters of water
    Next thing you'll have one on the flatty flicker

Don't think Funchy would like me having the upper hand

Next thing you'll have one on the flatty flicker

Will get you on Moejoes one day Lee and show you how the amateurs do it.
    Sam's just about to buy 4 electrics.
    1 for every occasion
    Yak fishing, tinny fishing, surf fishing and Murphy's fishing

Crikey Scottar, that is some serious leverage!!!!! I'll look into that until I catch something and then get the bug for an electric. I know that once I catch something out there that I will be keen to pursue it further.

I would look forward to that Rob, I have read lots about that boat of yours and your fishing exploits