Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trying the deeper water off Caloundra

Re: Trying the deeper water off Caloundra

Yeah, All bad news from my so called mates.
    Bloody shit stirrers

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post
    I would look forward to that Rob, I have read lots about that boat of yours and your fishing exploits

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

I would look forward to that Rob, I have read lots about that boat of yours and your fishing exploits

The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Do I need to send you some concrete tablets Rob. In W.A. we did 400 metres this way mate - that's a long way up.
    Scottar, you do realise Rob is soft mate.

He isn't joking, he wanted to use electrics when fishing for flathead with Funchy

I've used my electrics at Boat Rock and the 33's too,lol
    They are great for float lining Snapper.

Don't do it, everything you've heard about him is true. You'll regret going. 😉😉😉

It can't be that bad Sam, he never seems to be short of a crew

The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Hi Lee...I was out last weekend off moreton fishing 240-320mtrs...the current was horrendous mate..passing over the 160mtr line we could see the rip in the surface current line..it was blowing 15knts sw & we were drifting at 3.5knts to the se..ive fished out there around Christmas time a lot but ive never seen current like that before out there..i thought it would have been way better being winter..do what you like mate but im giving it a miss this weekend even though forecast is great but I would strongly recommend what Aussie 123 said(lance).he knows his stuff..I have seen the RIP chart sent by lance to me & its still raging out there...we caught a bar cod & half a dozen flame snapper & 20 odd green eyes..sometimes if you find a green eye nest it can be very frustrating as you will hook a few at a time thinking you have a good fish on..after one trip you will definantly invest in an electric....good luck with it mate..oh & diawa are bringing out a new electric end of sept..megatwin 1200..id hold out for that if you were buying one or 2..cheers jason

Hi Jason, thanks for your reply. I had been holding out for the winter expecting the current to be minimal but I was obviously mistaken. Are you drifting with a sea anchor when drifting? I imagine the constant reverse to be unsuitable in such current.
    If the wind stays down I will be keen to have a look. I would be satisfied to catch 1 fish only. I will keep an eye out for the new Diawa in September.
    I'll let you know how it goes

Jason now has auto pilot with Sabiki mode so should be a piece of piss reversing up!!!
    Only cost him $7.5k for the feature

Hi Jason, thanks for your reply. I had been holding out for the winter expecting the current to be minimal but I was obviously mistaken. Are you drifting with a sea anchor when drifting? I imagine the constant reverse to be unsuitable in such current.
    If the wind stays down I will be keen to have a look. I would be satisfied to catch 1 fish only. I will keep an eye out for the new Diawa in September.
    I'll let you know how it goes

According to Sam's link it shows currents off Caloundra at 0.41m/s which equals 1.476kms/hr which doesn't seem that bad.
    Off Straddie 0.58m/s = 2.088kms/hr.
    I'd just go out and have a look around and drop on a show and see how it goes.
    Currents are always going to be there at various speeds but I think what happens on the surface eg wind direction vs drift ultimately makes it fishable or not.
    Give it a crack Lee.
    Don't let a little current get in the way of a great day out on the water

Quote Originally Posted by soulfish View Post
    Hi Lee...I was out last weekend off moreton fishing 240-320mtrs...the current was horrendous mate..passing over the 160mtr line we could see the rip in the surface current line..it was blowing 15knts sw & we were drifting at 3.5knts to the se..ive fished out there around Christmas time a lot but ive never seen current like that before out there..i thought it would have been way better being winter..do what you like mate but im giving it a miss this weekend even though forecast is great but I would strongly recommend what Aussie 123 said(lance).he knows his stuff..I have seen the RIP chart sent by lance to me & its still raging out there...we caught a bar cod & half a dozen flame snapper & 20 odd green eyes..sometimes if you find a green eye nest it can be very frustrating as you will hook a few at a time thinking you have a good fish on..after one trip you will definantly invest in an electric....good luck with it mate..oh & diawa are bringing out a new electric end of sept..megatwin 1200..id hold out for that if you were buying one or 2..cheers jason

There sure is unlimited options for a boat these days if you have the money to throw at them isn't there.
    How handy would it be but!!!!!!!

No wonder we are broke

There sure is unlimited options for a boat these days if you have the money to throw at them isn't there.
    How handy would it be but!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    Yeah, All bad news from my so called mates.
    Bloody shit stirrers
    Don't be like that Rob.......

Just a quick report from today's adventures. Crossed an extremely shallow Caloundra bar this morning at 4.20am, dragging bottom for a fair bit of the crossing. Tried to jig a beacon on the way for good bait shows but nil in the tanks. Out to the 95-102m drop off. A good 12-15 knots of southerly? What happened to the variable 10knots? First 4 drops resulted in 2 good snapper and 2 nice pearlies. The decky had some work to catch up.
    Between the 2 of us we got 3 nice snapper and 7 pearlies between 6.00am and 7.30am. I was thinking this had the makings of a very productive day.
    We then moved and came up donuts everywhere. There was a fair bit of current running at the 100m area. The original llan was for the deeper water so at about 12.00pm we went searching. With no marks to head for, we just headed east until 200m, very shortly after the Furuno screeen went from dead to loaded.
    First drop with the deck winch saw nothing, "let's try again"
    Second round saw a good bite ant the call of Fish on. This was short lived, maybe 20sec and 20m from the bottom and Gone!!!!!!!! Tried lots more country for nil bites.
    The current wasn't really an issue with 2.5kg leads.
    I am very keen to try again.
    Nothing worthy of sphoto

Nice one Lee,
    Just keep chipping away at it.
    We had a great trip. I do need to review my fuel management system tho.
    It said I still had 47 litres in the tank - Go figure???
    Only burnt 636 litres after running out 12 kms off shore and getting the coast guard to pick me up - Oouch!!!!!.
    Then the stint of bad luck started.
    Think I got a speed ticket on the way home by being just over going down hill.
    Then woke up this morning to a flat on the car
    Just another one of those cheap fishing trips...............Attachment 116054