Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eating Large Spanish Mackerel

Re: Eating Large Spanish Mackerel

I should add that seeing a GP is better than not seeking any medical treatment but try to get to the hospital first if you have the option.

Ausfish Bronze Member Red October's Avatar

A good article explains the treatment options at the following link:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2579736/

I should add that seeing a GP is better than not seeking any medical treatment but try to get to the hospital first if you have the option.
    Having said that - I actually had to spell ciguatera for the docs in bundy ER 5 or so years ago as none had even heard of it. My son had a suspected case - from a longtail tuna believe it or not. He ate a couple of small peices raw off the cleaning table as I was cleaning. Complained of numb lips/throat so we bolted into the hospital. It spread slightly then stopped and cleared up overnight. Either it wasn't cig - or we were very lucky in that he only ate a little.

PS - we lived in Bundy for best part of a decade and ate tons of spaniards of all sizes (pretty hard to go outside and not have them jumping into your boat up there. With the bigger specimens I'd fry a very small piece on the BBQ just after cleaning. Eat a few mouthfuls and wait an hour or two for symptoms to appear (or not as was always the case - touch wood). Never had an issue and have eaten plenty of 20kg+ versions.

Sidebar: Bundy hospital reminds me of a western/comedy movie where the barber is the dentist and is the doctor. After the last episode where I could do with a couple if stitches, I bought a suture kit and will do it myself next time, rather than go back there!

... Ron via mobile

Ron
    Loc: Bundaberg
    B1: Yalta Craft 2200 Fisherman + Suzuki DF150
    B2: Quintrex 430 Fishabout + E-Tech 40