Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS

GPS

I currently have a lowrance ti9.

iam getting tired of changing screens from sonar to charts. I can split the screen but just a little to small

I want to run a separate gps unit.

I looked t the lowrance 7 ti today. The guy sid it was better to have the same units because they can be linked.

i also looked at the 7" garmin stiker. They were $400 cheaper.

Wht re peoples thoughts. The second unit will be gps only

cheets
    greg

Re: GPS

I'd go with the same. easy to network and nice to have redundancy if one goes down for one reason or another too. You can just swap TD cables over. Mat.

Probably keep them the same, but, I like the Garmin GPS!

I'm also a Garmin fan and run two combo units. One for finder and one for GPS. If one breaks down always have a backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

The Garmin sounder is just OK, but the GPS is the best (in my opinion) easy to use and good maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    The Garmin sounder is just OK, but the GPS is the best (in my opinion) easy to use and good maps.

So no real advantage touy the same brand?
    With the garmin, is the striker range ok?
    I have touch screen on the lowrance. Should i stick to same on the garmin if i go that way?

The striker series doesn't have any maps.

Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Id have to disagree. The Navionics charts are incredibly detailed, down to .3m contours if you turn on the "sonar chart" function. Besides which, you cant just plug-n-play the transducer over if you've got separate brands. Mat.

Quote Originally Posted by mace01 View Post
    Id have to disagree. The Navionics charts are incredibly detailed, down to .3m contours if you turn on the "sonar chart" function. Besides which, you cant just plug-n-play the transducer over if you've got separate brands. Mat.

I was told that the striker range dont have maps. The lowrance ti 9 that i have has all the maps.

Iam only looking at a unit that i can use as a gps. Put in my waypoints, get a trail from point ATo point B.

Do i need maps?

The lowrance was $1049. Striker is $699

cheers

That's the beauty of being able to network them. You can share the resources across the network. Doesn't matter which unit is connected to maps/transducers etc. It can all be shared.

Mace, not into networking. Dont know anything about it.

I was just after some info on the striker range. They dont have maps and i was told that the gps screen is just a white screen with the waypoint on it. Do i need maps on the screen.

If you are in creeks or estuaries then you probably don't need maps. If your are going into areas that you don't know and need to know where channels and rocks etc are then yes maps are a good idea. Another thing that maps show is Marine Parks so you can avoid fishing in the wrong place with them.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

If you tie your boat to places that you never go then yes maps are great for it, it helped my massively for places like stanage bay.

Also if you do a bit of night fishing I find it helps a lot in not runnning into beacons when coming back In as I find they like to blend in with the land lights.

560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

No maps on the striker. Yes has GPS....but no maps. You can add marks, goto etc, but no maps.

you need to go to the echomap series to get maps.

I have a striker 7sv on one of my kayaks and a echomap 9sv on the stinker.
    Cheers

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    Mace, not into networking. Dont know anything about it.
    Networking just means joining the two together with a cable. think of it like having a computer with two different screens. It means that you can view the charts off the 9 on the 7 and if you want to, you could also view the same sonar image twice (one on the 7 and one on the 9) but have the 7 zoomed in/out or vice versa. really worth looking into.