Thread: evin 115di - neutral switch or something else ?

evin 115di - neutral switch or something else ?

Hi, boat back in the water with only an hour since major service (100hrs old), new battery etc, after being laid up for years.

Outside green Is fishing. Turn the key, all alarms clear and loud, switch to start, bit a of quiet clunk but no turn-over.

Few more attempts.. gauges ( fuel, trim ) all drop to off mode when I turn the key.

Think dead battery, undo, and tightened all the connections. Turn the key , still the same.. About to call the vmr, give the throttle the old up/down wiggle, pulled the kill cord, turn the key, and bursts straight into life.

Didn't start first time at the ramp, but I thought that was me with the idle adjuster.

Started again at the ramp ok, when I flushed the engine, and when I got home the battery is reading well into 13v.

Would a neutral safety cause the gauges to drop on key turn, or should I be looking for something else ?
    Stacer 525 easyrider - 115 DI. Bayside Brissy

Re: evin 115di - neutral switch or something else ?

Yeah possibly just the neutral switch. I often need to wiggle my lever if i leave it just off

More like a bad battery connection, both pos and neg, at both ends and at battery switch need to be removed and cleaned, or a bad battery cable.

More than likely the neutral switch or a sticky kill switch.

Be pretty rare for the neutral switch to allow a "clunk" and the gauges go dim??

You're too kind Noelm.
    Impossible for the neutral safety switch to allow a "clunk" and the gauges to go dim.

I seem to remember a common problem with the power distribution panel on some of those, they get cracks or bad joints in them, but, I think that causes a completely dead fault?

I'm thinking bad ground somewhere, as everything is good until I turn the key, and then there doesn't appear to be enough amps to power anything. Guess it's volt-meter time, and check the connections everywhere
    Stacer 525 easyrider - 115 DI. Bayside Brissy

Yep - voltage drop check. Needs to be done as you attempt to crank the motor to show the drop under load.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Be pretty rare for the neutral switch to allow a "clunk" and the gauges go dim??
    Good point. Should have read that better!! In my defence, I'm in the US and completely jet-lagged...