Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: anyone know of any cheap but good 4500kg tow vehicles? please post or pm

Re: anyone know of any cheap but good 4500kg tow vehicles? please post or pm

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    nah. current thinking is to go as cheap as possible. Towing only around town. but can get an ex fire canter with hardly any k's on it for approx 15k. (even dealers have them for around this) was going to get a dual cab but i'm worried about the length of the whole show
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/upwe...-93/1153324495
    was super keen on this one but a bit far. non turbo. still might. body is awesome but would be a slight pain (just want some 44's there)
    or this one is a turbo

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cool...per/1142847649

there was just a 4x4 single cab sold in armidale for 5900... i doubt ill be stressing it driving around town at 50kmh or less. found a different truck that would pass roadworthy for 5k but it's gvm was too high. the trick is to get a canter or NPR or one of those other trucks that has the factory option of a downgradeable GVM to a car license (so you don't need the truck license or the $2000 plus rego) and they have the GCM (sometimes with no mod plate or easily added according to the automotive engineer) to tow over 4500kg which is max anyway.
    Current favourite if i'm spending more is an ex fire truck turbo 4wd with large water tank and diesel firepump which would be great for washdown and getting around the water restrictions here! 2 inch hose. Also has tray for 44's and some large tool storage area.
    Have already bought a diesel transfer pump so it will also serve as the refueller.
    set on the light truck. far less rego being a four cylinder, far cheaper, handier, heaps of parts and less getting pushed around by the load factor than an f truck

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    nah. current thinking is to go as cheap as possible. Towing only around town. but can get an ex fire canter with hardly any k's on it for approx 15k. (even dealers have them for around this) was going to get a dual cab but i'm worried about the length of the whole show
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/upwe...-93/1153324495
    was super keen on this one but a bit far. non turbo. still might. body is awesome but would be a slight pain (just want some 44's there)
    or this one is a turbo

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cool...per/1142847649

there was just a 4x4 single cab sold in armidale for 5900... i doubt ill be stressing it driving around town at 50kmh or less. found a different truck that would pass roadworthy for 5k but it's gvm was too high. the trick is to get a canter or NPR or one of those other trucks that has the factory option of a downgradeable GVM to a car license (so you don't need the truck license or the $2000 plus rego) and they have the GCM (sometimes with no mod plate or easily added according to the automotive engineer) to tow over 4500kg which is max anyway.
    Current favourite if i'm spending more is an ex fire truck turbo 4wd with large water tank and diesel firepump which would be great for washdown and getting around the water restrictions here! 2 inch hose. Also has tray for 44's and some large tool storage area.
    Have already bought a diesel transfer pump so it will also serve as the refueller.
    set on the light truck. far less rego being a four cylinder, far cheaper, handier, heaps of parts and less getting pushed around by the load factor than an f truck
    I'd be bloody surprised if they engineered a Lt for 4.5t Towing off the tow bar
    I think you'll find no one will do it.

If they downrate the truck it won't upgrade the towbar Towing rating.

Quote Originally Posted by ric View Post
    I'd be bloody surprised if they engineered a Lt for 4.5t Towing off the tow bar
    I think you'll find no one will do it.

If they downrate the truck it won't upgrade the towbar Towing rating.
    Check out the canter specs on the website (canter just one of class) GVM 6000/gcm 10000. with the factory option of downgradeable gvm to 4500 for car license. but vehicle built for GCM 10000. 10000 - 4500 = 6.5 t

vehicle engineer says easy/ formality because of 10000 gcm.

GVM minus GCM is not your max towing limit! Towing limit is its own entity.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

vehicle reclassification engineer says easy so i believe him.
    i think manufacturers recommended max tow limit might be 3500kg. he is providing me a mod plate (and charging me a fee - few hunge) same as if i put different engine in a vehicleor make it a 6 wheeler etc. Authorised Queensland transport vehicle modification engineer. But i think it is because the vehicle is rated to that GCM that it is just a formality/ reclass. no physical mods required (i.e. brakes are up to it etc)

we had a dual cab 2wd canter as a lightweight fire truck at work. think it was a 3.5l non turbo and it was ridiculously under powered, so it was fitted with an after market turbo later. make sure if you get one of these, that it's turbo'd!

Quote Originally Posted by Skusto View Post
    GVM minus GCM is not your max towing limit! Towing limit is its own entity.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    100% correct!
    Most engineer mod plate shops can downrate your gvm. Your manufacturer specified Towing capacory of 3500kg can't be changed. Not to mention you won't find a 4.5t rated towbar AND certified for that vehicle make.
    If you could simply downrate your gvm to increase you Towing mass there would be lots of vehicles running around with 4 ton trailers being pulled by 2 ton Utes (v scary!)

Sorry if I sound negative myusernam but I've been through it. If I was in your case I'd probably buy an old 6 cylinder cruiser Ute and sneak it down to the ramp and back.

I'll ring another one to confirm.

U can go six wheeler - in absense of manufactures max tow u can tow 1.5 times the GVM. (6 wheelers have secondary manufacturers plate).

Australia’s National Towing Regulations, which apply to any vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) of less than 4.5 tonnes, limit the mass of any trailer to the vehicle manufacturer’s towing recommendations or the capacity of the towing equipment fitted to the vehicle, whichever is least.

So I guess he changes max tow while over 4.5 gvm then changes gvm to 4.5. dunno. All I know says he will and I will hopefully have nice shiny mod plates there to prove. I'll post all the details up if successful
    plenty of places do 5ton towbars or custom. Engineer can certify these too

Ausfish Silver Member

Series 1 Land Rover discovery's are rated to tow 4,500kg (5 seater only, not the 7 seater).
    I picked up a manual diesel '98 Disco (cheap to buy, cheap to run and 4 cylinder rego)
    We use it as the "spare" family car.
    So bugger all invested, are actually quite reliable, (but do leak a bit of oil on the driveway), cheap to insure and it's prime role in life, is to tow the boat.
    That will leave you with enough cash to get a nice daily driver.
    Well, that's what I did...

The Landrover might be rated to that capacity, in reality towing 4.5 T with one is not recommended, they are grossly over rated, even short distances are a "challenge" but at least it's technicaly legal!!

Is that the discovery 1 or the old 1960 army style Landrover?

I thought it was pre 95, not a disco and only four ton, which isn't enough. And tow ball weight of 130kg which also isn't enough. Boat weighed just over four without much in it so will have to be carefull what I leave in it. Will empty tanks at ramp (water down sink, dieseL via 12v transfer pump if there's too much in there to the 44's that will live in the tow vehicle.

Whoops re read OP. Landrover discovery. Looking up now

Ausfish Platinum Member

Gawd, 4wd Canters are horrible with nothing behind them, can't imagine what they would be like to tow with...I guess if it only for a really short distance, that doesn't matter.