Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: anyone know of any cheap but good 4500kg tow vehicles? please post or pm

Re: anyone know of any cheap but good 4500kg tow vehicles? please post or pm

you can't exceed the manufacturers maximum towing capacity of a vehicle, unless you have the vehicle engineered to do so by a vehicle engineer and a mod plate fitted or there is no manufacturers recommended. Then you can go 1.5 times the tare.
    Here is a list of what can do what
    http://www.newcastlerental.com/Vehic...%202012%20.pdf
    http://ozhitch.com/wp-content/upload...idenov2007.pdf

this is a good summary (SA but same except for trailer brake wieghts)
    https://www.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/...-less-8.14.pdf
    can go 1.5 times tare if no gcm or max tow weight specified by manufacturer. Note all this applies to vehicles below 4500 kg GVM. (car license)
    As mentioned previously I am working towards an over 4500kg gvm option and will post proof and pics up if successfull shortly

Ok so bought the truck from the auctions some time ago but had to finish a house Reno before I could work on truck or boat. I might do a seperate boat thread but here's the truck. It's a 98 SWB 4wd canter that I have had rerated (for the princely sum of $330) to have a gcm of 9t and a gvm of 4495kg so I can drive with a normal license. Only has 11000klms - ex rural Fire brigade. Has a 1500l watertank with diesel fire pump and toolboxes. Ive just finished wiring in a redarc tow pro elite proportional brake controller (more expensive than takonsha but can be run of 24v). Battery balancer, 12v Anderson plug and wiring loom for the trailer, rerouted electric start for the pump to the Anderson wiring and a 4500kg towbar. The toolboxes are all keyed alike but had no key. Managed to get one cut from a locksmith so they're good for keeping tools, oversize tow flags,signs,light etc. Actually fits all the tools for the boat (that don't live in the boat), diesel transfer pump etc. The fire hoses had been removed but I got a retired 50m hose reel for $30 that I'm fitting. My drum of CT18 slots straight in to the fire foam holder, and the proportioning system means I should be able to soap then rinse the boat and trailer Poste haste. The man cage at the back will house a couple of aviation 200l drums (been told they're thicker?)for diesel. I'll move the boat fairly dry and just transfer diesel at the ramp and fill up water as well. Plan to fit a crane arm and weld up some roof racks. Dingy has some good transom wheels so will wheel up ramp then just lift straight onto back and strap.
    Pick of redarc - lot of work for a little knob. All you can see - rest fits behind dash which was actually a pain as there wasn't much room unlike a normal car.
    As mentioned earlier in the thread I went this way rather than a f250 as it was cheaper to buy, should be more reliable, only has 4cyl so cheaper to rego each year and can carry the tinny and all the crxp with the washdown a bonus.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Ausfish Platinum Member

You'll have the quickest washdown at the ramp

To summarise all I learned for anyone else there are two vehicle bulletins for Qld. (Under review they said) One designed for slightly oversize loads. It's for hang glider trailers, dragon boats, horse floats, boats. To fall under this criteria you have to be below 4.5t, below 4.3m high and under 2.9m wide. If so you can tow with car license provided you don't exceed vehicle manufacturer maximum tow limit. For vehicles under 4500 gvm this is set in stone. So u are limited to old Range Rovers at 4t. Australian f250' s after 2003 (memory a bit hazy). Which has grossly inflated price of these. GMC sierras etc. Imports I think might be limited to 1.5 times gvm. (Didn't go this way so lost interest). Modified six wheelers with secondary manufacturer plate can tow 1.5 times gvm but still might not get to 4.5t. now some 6wheelers specify gvm to 4.5t. allow 22k on top of vehicle for mod.
    There's a Lovell 200 series mod to 4t.
    Old f350s or anything else without a manufacturers max tow weight can only tow 1.5 times gvm so not enough.
    You can then step up to the higher class heavy trailer bulletin which has a max height of 4.6m (I had height issues) and can be wider etc (unsure of limits) with more road and time restrictions (Easter, Christmas, some roads I'm Brisbane) but this was never an option as the tow vehicle must be 4.5 t gvm or over which means truck rego ($2k pa) and a truck license which was unaffordable for me and too restrictive for resale of boat.
    Hope this saves someone else some time one day ☺️

I like the idea of the truck set up. Beware of the aviation drums, if they are avgas the drums are most likely painted inside and diesel will lift the paint off and will end up in your fuel system. I know this from first hand experience. The paint lining may have changed over the years and it might not lift off anymore. If they are Jet A1 drums then from memory they are OK (I think).

TMC