Thread: 1770 - Range Questions

1770 - Range Questions

HI Guys

Heading up to 1770 around the Ekka break and though I would love to get out to the reefs I am not sure about my range. I can get 150kms plus a safety margin out of my boat which seems to just get me there and back I think without moving around and finding fish at all - that would mean another maybe 40-60 litres in Jerry Cans?

Alternatively, how about spots between 1770 and the reefs? Are there any good areas in between.?

To give you an idea I can fish the 50s off the GoldCoast and back on half a tank (calm day) if that makes any sense

Cheers

Blair

Re: 1770 - Range Questions

It is about 55km's to Fitzroy Lagoon or 50km's to Musgrave form the bar. According to your figures that gives you 50km's of fishing range, that is a fair bit if you hang around the reef.
    There is quite a bit of ground on the way out to the reef as well. Areas like the Inner and Outer Wides or 8 Fathom, you can do a day trip up to Bustard Head and fish the rocks that come out from the headland or troll the headland at 1770.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Do a trial run from Wynnum to Hutches through the bay and around the top it's about the distance to musgrave 30miles take some extra jerrys I have a 210 litre tank and still take 4 jerrys ....
    dont run out up there as they will tow you back I heard someone got charged $2.50 per kilometre from just south of musgrave towed back to bunderberg
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    Do a trial run from Wynnum to Hutches through the bay and around the top it's about the distance to musgrave 30miles
    30 miles is 48 kilometres or there abouts are you sure of this distance? Wynnum to Hutchies is a bit further than 48klms.
    Cheers Axl

A few weeks back my daughter and I did a overnighter to Musgrave covered a fair bit of country did 234 k so you can click them up pretty quick out there going from mark to mark good seas mostly used 105 litres took 160 with jerry cans think it is roughly 65 k to Musgrave from the ramp at 1770

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

The idea is to do a trip of the same size as a prep it does not need to be the exactly the meter as you should not be attempting if it's going to be that close on fuel?
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Quote Originally Posted by blairv70 View Post
    HI Guys

Heading up to 1770 around the Ekka break and though I would love to get out to the reefs I am not sure about my range. I can get 150kms plus a safety margin out of my boat which seems to just get me there and back I think without moving around and finding fish at all - that would mean another maybe 40-60 litres in Jerry Cans?

Alternatively, how about spots between 1770 and the reefs? Are there any good areas in between.?

To give you an idea I can fish the 50s off the GoldCoast and back on half a tank (calm day) if that makes any sense

Cheers

Blair
    Blair, it is 65k's from boat ramp to Musgrave Lagoon entrance and 72k's from ramp to Fitzroy lagoon entrance.

You can add another 30 - 40k's for drifting around. If you don't shut your motor off while drifting, you'll add more.

IMO and with many years experience there I would allow a day trip to the reefs to cover 200k's.

Now calculate additional fuel burn for load and or sea conditions... Be careful in good conditions, as one tends to up the rpm and that will burn fuel moreso than sitting on the sweet spot rpm of around 4000 - 4500rpm.

I have a range of 250k's with underfloor fuel and don't take extra for a day trip, but I do take 80litres extra for over night trips.

There are plenty of inshore reefs to explore, from the baits grounds only 3k's from the bar, to the Inner and Outta Wides to the North East some 28 & 36k's. There is a lot of ground around the 17k area.

It really depends on what you are looking to catch, weather conditions and ability to get a grasp on the fishery as in most cases, it does take some getting to know.

email me ( ausfish01@optusnet.com.au ) and I can pass on gps points for the area you want to fish. That doesn't mean you'll catch fish there, 1770 is a place you MUST find the fish, one day they are there, the next gone and they do shut down during the day over certain tides etc..... it can be frustrating as well as rewarding.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here