Thread: Purchasing a new Quintrex cruiseabout + Minn Kota

Purchasing a new Quintrex cruiseabout + Minn Kota

Hi all

I'm in the market for a new boat - eyeing off a Quintrex 490 cruiseabout with the new Yamaha F90.

I plan to option it up with a transom door, ski hooks, stereo, spare wheel, front casting deck and a Minn Kota Terrova 55lb. I'll probably bring across my Lowrance elite 7 ti from the old boat. I was thinking of getting some clears and hydraulic steering but probably better off saving the $.

I don't know a lot about trolling motors, but from what I have seen the Terrova is the pick of the bunch? I will get an onboard charger installed (from what I've read, the chargers that use the engine alternator to top up the battery aren't as good as they seem?). Is there anything I need to be mindful about regarding the trolling motor? Only big feature I plan on using is the spot lock and the little remote thing looks handy. Will 12v @ 55lb be sufficient for the 490 (hull length is 5.13m)?

Cheers

Re: Purchasing a new Quintrex cruiseabout + Minn Kota

if the budget allows, a Terrova 55lbs 12v is a great unit and more than suitable for your boat.. the current gen with lift assist and heading sensor are the pick of the bunch when it comes to electric motors
    your lowrance elite 7ti could network with a motorguide XI5 however if this feature is something your not all too worried about. it isnt worth the dollar saving and the terrova still stands out,

As for chargers. id highly recomend the Victron onboard chargers with bluetooth. if you have a nice sealed area. otherwise the Procharger or Minnkota onboard chargers are very good also

Moose

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

While an onboard charger is definitely convenient, on a trailer boat I simply see them as being unnecessarily exposed to salt water damage. If you set up your electric though a plug and socket (I would typically use Anderson connectors) that is readily accessible, it is very easy at the end of the day to unplug the electric and plug the charger into the boat and also allows for easy removal if the motor is on a quick release. Charging while running via a VSR or similar will not generally keep the battery fully charged unless you are doing a lot of big distances but it will help and could be the difference over finishing the day with or without the electric. On that size boat in any sort of heavy tidal flow the motor will be working a bit so every little bit helps.

If you can manage the $$, I'd opt for an 80lb electric. A 55lb will last you a few hours (with a bit of wind/current) and you'll be annoyed! Alternatively, maybe a 55lb with a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery could be ok (again it's all $$$). Mat.

And as Scott has suggested. Save the charger for the garage.

Thanks guys for the tips on the electric.

Is the foot pedal worth it, or is it easy enough to just use the remote thing (keeping in mind I can't permanently mount the foot pedal in a bowrider and keep it all clean for family stuff).

Cheers

remote is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Sifor10 View Post
    Thanks guys for the tips on the electric.

Is the foot pedal worth it, or is it easy enough to just use the remote thing (keeping in mind I can't permanently mount the foot pedal in a bowrider and keep it all clean for family stuff).

Cheers
    Personally I've never bothered and just used the remote but it really will be the choice of the individual. Some people who used motors prior to remotes being around probably do prefer the pedal and in some situations fishing one up I can see how it would be useful. With two in the boat, if someone hooks a hot fish we usually pass the remote over so the other can drive - one up you don't have that option.

I agree - just use a quality charger and Anderson plug. I have a charging tail from my battery switch with common ground and pass that out over the gunwale and plug in the ctek. I reckon the most useful part of an electric is the virtual anchor. Gr8 invention for allowing us to be on the spot. I prefer foot control for other movement as I can keep.casting. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Just thinking about the difference between 88lb @ 56A 24v and 55lb @ 50A 12v, my maths suggest the 88lb 24v model is about 30% more efficient running at 55lb (using only 35A rather than 50A for the 55lb 12v model). Obviously this assumes the 55lb is physically sufficient to move the boat in the current etc and the only factor between the two is runtime.

Assuming 55lb is physically sufficient to move the boat (I estimate 1100kg loaded with people, fuel and gear, dry weight is about 700kg), surely I would get more runtime running two batteries in parallel for the 12v model vs two batteries in series for 24v?

Ie, 200AH (two 100ah batteries in parallel) will still give me an extra ~70% runtime compared to 24v 100ah batteries for the 88lb model (going off the above math), assuming the 55lb one is running at full throttle at 50A.

Does the above check out with you guys?

Blog Entries

I have a 4.3 stacer with a 50hp Yammy and the 55lb iPilot. It is fine in wind and current in estuary. On a windy choppy day it's not so good outside but hell, I dont go out on windy choppy days. Personally I'd go with th the 55lb unless you plan on offshore work in crap weather.

Good battery maintenance is a must (i.e never run them fully out without putting straight on the charge. Always keep them topped up etc)

Hi

I've got a 2014 55lb ipliot link on a 2004 510allycraft bowrider. My overall boat weight would be similar.

The minnkota has a 60" shaft which was put on by BLA from new. Previous owner of the motor did this. I also fitted a kipawa 3 blade prop from the USA. Apparently these thold better in current. Not sure how true this is?

Ive got twin 130ah AGM's which keeps it going all day. Have fished the mouth of the pin with swell, current and wind and never felt like the 55lb was a problem. 60" shaft helps with the swell though.

My understanding was if you can keep the voltage high e.g. twin batteries= longer time at higher volts, the motor should run harder and deal with the current/load.

Didn't want to go to a 24v system due to the charging hassle. It's set up so the minn kota battery bank can be charged by the motor/charger or even used to start the outboard.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Sifor
    did u get ur new boat?

Thanks Lenrok for your comment - sounds like the actual thrust of 55lb is probably sufficient for most circumstances (maybe not offshore work though) and twin batteries in parallel works good.

Seahorse, no not yet, I didn't realise the wait time on the car I am looking at is now a few months, so I need to purchase the car before the boat (was expecting the other way around!). Like everyone I have a budget to work to, so the $$ for the boat will now be tight.

Cheers

Sifor
    i was looking at the 481 fishabout. Just couldnt make up my mind.
    I want mine for fishing, so i decided on the 460 renegade, which is 4.88m.

The room in these compared to the runabout is so much more.

The quinny blade hull is so good. I put the 75hp 4 stroke merc. Just make sure u get the new yammy. I know the old 70 is 1 lit and the new 75 is 1.8 i think. Food for thought. Lot of boats out there with the 70, in my size boat. Sure glad i went to th 2.1lit merc. Its a rocket and great on fuel.

Good luck