Thread: Moreton Bay Weather advice

Moreton Bay Weather advice

Hi guys,

Newbie heading out into northern Moreton bay this coming Saturday for a fish.

Have had tinnies over the years and fished the protected rivers but never really ventured into open waters..

Forecast at this stage is saying wind 15 - 20 kph, seas below 1m..
    Seems reasonably benign to me....but generally what's considered too blowy and/or too rough for an enjoyable day on the bay?
    What wind or swell direction turns things nasty?

Granted its all relative to boat size, experience and common sense but if I'm heading out in a barcrusher 560 with the fam where should I draw the line?

Thanks in advance, I understand that much of this is learned through experience and would really appreciate any advice.
    Cheers
    FarQue

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Moreton Bay Weather advice

First step is to check the weather again on Friday - the weather bureau stand at least some chance of knowing what is going on by then (this is in no way a guaranteed outcome - even if they do look out the window to check, which they usually don't). Your boat is well and truly big enough to handle the conditions - as to the occupants - everyone's threshold is different. 15 to 20 Kph will probably be ok. If it's 15 to 20 knots, investigate "plan B" as it will be uncomfortable. Watch your wind direction - many a young player has headed across thinking "this ain't so bad" only to discover they were running with the sea and that once they turn to run into it to come home, it's not so much fun. Also be aware that wind against tide can make the seas stand up.

I would pop a post up on Friday and get some opinions then as too early to tell yet....for family boating I usually draw the line at 10 knots as the ride home in the arvo can be a bit ordinary and it puts them off for next time....but as Scott said wind against tide is the main issue on the bay, yesterday the Nthrly picked up but incoming tide so was able to come home at WOT, if outgoing tide would have been a bit more ordinary.

Exciting times getting to try the new rig. Is there any chance you can get a deckie and put the boat through its paces? I.e. not take family until you get the feel of the new rig.

Nothing like a few hours in the new boat and in the waters you want to travel to, take family to etc.

Cheers Adam
    Last edited by Micadogs; 31-07-2017 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Fuel, if you're not used to open water. At least 50% more than you plan to use. Swell, throttling on and off for waves etc makes a massive difference to usage.
    Stacer 525 easyrider - 115 DI. Bayside Brissy

I draw the line at 15 Knots, especially if the wind blows down the neck of my chosen spot to fish. Have a game plan if the wind is strong enough to push the spray back toward you as you are motoring along. It wrecks anyone's day if the spray wets your passengers. Some boats are worse, I will put up my side clears to stay dry but no good if you are sitting down the back.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Ausfish mobile app