Thread: Suspension / Shock absorbing jockey seats - Shark Seats

Suspension / Shock absorbing jockey seats - Shark Seats

Im trying to find decent suspension / shock absorbing seats for a new boat getting built.

I wasnt going to have a drivers seat however my knees/hips are deteriorating and it would be good to get some support as they fail!

The best option I could find is the Shark Seats out of NZ. But around $3k each I think is a little ott for my purposes. http://www.sharkseating.com/

The other I looked at http://www.wavemaster.net.au/ Im after something a little higher end (look a bit cheap).

What other decent options are out there prob in the $1k +/- price bracket??

Prefer a jockey type or small as possible seat.

Re: Suspension / Shock absorbing jockey seats - Shark Seats

Yamba welding have been using these. Give them a call and you might be able to save on list price, shipping etc. I'm a big fan of Shox but don't expect them to be cheap. If you just want a sprung pedistal like the wavemaster then there is always the softrider

Howdy mate

We sell/install these shock mitigation pedestals.

made from CNCed anodized aluminium and stainless steel.
    30cm of adjustable travel , 100mm of shock travel.
    390mm x 240mm

They are $1700 with free shipping.
    Info@moosemarine.com.au

Attachment 115966Attachment 115967Attachment 115968Attachment 115969

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

what about some out of a truck from a wrecker and go nuts with some tectyl on the insides, put a good canvas seat cover over it. Twice a year give it some love with some WD?

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    Howdy mate

We sell/install these shock mitigation pedestals.

made from CNCed anodized aluminium and stainless steel.
    30cm of adjustable travel , 100mm of shock travel.
    390mm x 240mm

They are $1700 with free shipping.
    Info@moosemarine.com.au

Attachment 115966Attachment 115967Attachment 115968Attachment 115969

Shark seating have launched new models since those previous posts above. They have twice as much travel as anything else mentioned above plus they don't corrode and need no maintenance. The price has come down heaps (around 1800 including the seat) since they are selling a lot of them now... checkout the web: www.sharkseating.com or see them on some of boats displayed at Sanctuary Cove next week

Wow great perfect timing Paul Ill be onto them Mon.

Cheers

Ausfish Platinum Member

I wouldn't use truck seats. Those Bostrom ones, which were the pick of the crop back in the eighties and nineties, were used a lot on commercial boats where I was fishing. I had one in the boat I was running, you just couldn't keep it from rusting, even though it was inside a fair-sized lock up cabin. And the truck ones are made for a different purpose altogether--they are made to iron out very small, jarring impacts, not the amount of vertical acceleration you will get in a trailer boat being driven hard. The damper wears out very quickly then they act like a bloody pogo stick, make things worse. And I also knew a block who lost the first joint off one of his fingers on one--he grabbed the side of the seat as he was coming down hard ( on a fifty foot boat) and one of his fingers went into the "scissor" underneath, chopped it off .
    I'd just stick with the damped pedestal type, made for purpose , with a good marine seat on top.

ill be having a look at those shark seats for sure. 1800 with a seat is a very fair price. i can see it being an issue for those wanting their own seating or to retrofit existing. still very interesting product

www.moosemarine.com.au

Ausfish Silver Member

Check this out from Sam Allen Wholesale:
    https://www.samallen.com.au/index_in...01&category=31
    They look amazing in the flesh and they may actually work...

Sam allen have re designed these seat bases recently. the new design with a skirt will be available shortly. worth the wait for sure

www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    ill be having a look at those shark seats for sure. 1800 with a seat is a very fair price. i can see it being an issue for those wanting their own seating or to retrofit existing. still very interesting product
    Sam Allen and their 160 dealers now sell the Shark suspensions and can fit any of their seats to them...
    see here for options and pricing:
    https://www.samallen.com.au/index_in...k+Flex&alpha=S

backhoe /tractor seat, ever see how those back hoes travel ...bounce bounce bounce.

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    I wouldn't use truck seats. Those Bostrom ones, which were the pick of the crop back in the eighties and nineties, were used a lot on commercial boats where I was fishing. I had one in the boat I was running, you just couldn't keep it from rusting, even though it was inside a fair-sized lock up cabin. And the truck ones are made for a different purpose altogether--they are made to iron out very small, jarring impacts, not the amount of vertical acceleration you will get in a trailer boat being driven hard. The damper wears out very quickly then they act like a bloody pogo stick, make things worse. And I also knew a block who lost the first joint off one of his fingers on one--he grabbed the side of the seat as he was coming down hard ( on a fifty foot boat) and one of his fingers went into the "scissor" underneath, chopped it off .
    I'd just stick with the damped pedestal type, made for purpose , with a good marine seat on top.
    Bloke at worked Did the same thing in a loader, had his finger under the seat while adjusting it forward and chopped his finger off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Bloke at worked Did the same thing in a loader, had his finger under the seat while adjusting it forward and chopped his finger off!
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes that's why I designed the Shark Seats to have no pinch points and no sharp edges and made out of materials that never corrode.
    Basically they have nothing in common with tractor seats (just claiming back the title of this thread). Cheers. Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    Sam Allen and their 160 dealers now sell the Shark suspensions and can fit any of their seats to them...
    see here for options and pricing: