Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New sounder simrad or furuno

New sounder simrad or furuno

Looking at getting a new sounder for my cat. I've narrowed it down to 2 options. Either the furuno 588 or maybe the simrad s2009. Most of my fishing is in 50 to 100m and sometimes a bit deeper. I've used the furuno in previous boats and I was very happy with the performance. Price difference is a fair bit cheaper for the simrad but I can't find much info on them and not many reviews out there. Would love to know if anyone has had a play with the simrad and weather it stacks up. Any wisdom would be appreciated

cheers joel

Re: New sounder simrad or furuno

Howdy. Used both a fair bit.
    the 588 is a solid performer for sure, not current tech at all but what tech it does run is very reliable and solid. they hold their value pretty well too so when you consider the extra cost its worth considering what it will also be worth in years to come.
    that being said. the S2009 is made to be a real toe to toe fighter to the 588. fun facts time.. larger screen, brighter screen, higher power output, networkable, CHIRP enabled .. so those factors would inditcate its a better unit. it does sort of suffer from The navico curse of needing software updates over its life. which isnt a bad thing, it shows development is progressive.

we have used a s2009 on a Tv boat of ours for a few months nearly a year actually?. with a SS175HW in PPB, just out the front to about 60mt. with very very very good results "once dialed in". the target seperation is the real winner. the 588, we have used to a great degree running tm260 transducers and 1 b175 transducer , performance at speed was pretty good . however we found it to be no major difference in bay fishing and just out the front.

for deeper water the lower frequecines or medium frequencies have proved to be pretty good. we recently had a s2016 with a B175M fishing off gippsland in 150m of water with some very suprising and decent results.

A lot would depend on your budget.
    a S2009+B175HW would be a recommended system for sure.
    If you went the 588 and 175hw, you would still be very happy for sure

Moose

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Hi Moose, I've been considering those two units for when the old 7000f stops (if it ever will). What prices roughly for those two? Most of my work is 30 to 140m so 1Kw is probably a bit of overkill but if the price is right I'll stretch it.
    Mark

In the Furuno, 600 watts will comfortably do 150 metres - not to mention be a heap cheaper and easier to find a spot for when it comes to sorting out your transducer. Personally haven't used the Simrad but see no reason it will be any different to any other Navico sounder with similar specs as far as performance goes. Furuno for my money though.

Ausfish Bronze Member willfraser's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey fellas a recently just brought a furuno 588 with the standard airmar P66 transducer, I've had a few runs with it, anyone on this thread run the 588 and have any advice on optimal performance for reef fishing? Cheers will

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by willfraser View Post
    Hey fellas a recently just brought a furuno 588 with the standard airmar P66 transducer, I've had a few runs with it, anyone on this thread run the 588 and have any advice on optimal performance for reef fishing? Cheers will

Probably the single biggest "setting" that has an influence on what the Furuno's show is the TVG setting. If you set it incorrectly it markedly reduces the amount of life the set will show. I run a FCV-627 (one model back with the smaller screen) - the setting that has always shown the most is high for the TVG but try them all so you can see what a difference they make. If at all possible, don't use any clutter or colour erase - doing so will remove small signals. Whether or not this is achievable will depend on your installation and your boat. I usually set the "key" setting to adjust shift. That way every setting I would use over the course of a day is on the front panel. Unless I am simply traveling, all range and gain adjustment is done manually. I would normally run in split screen HF/Zoom mode with the zoom set to bottom lock and the bottom lock range set at 10 metres. Once I start fishing, I use a range of usually 30 metres and then shift it down as required dependent on depth as required. Gain is turned up as required until the screen clutters and then backed off gradually until just clear. If you are fishing deep and find your gain wound up full, there is an internal offset. That said unless you are fishing over 150 metres it shouldn't be necessary.

Blog Entries

No worries scottar I will give it a go made with the TVG settings, the shows are good with the fain set right mine runs about 4-5 on gain which shows good fish sign, can you tell the difference in fish species with yours mate? I had it all worked out on my old lowrance with the shapes and colour but still working the furuno out, I suppose it will come with experience on the sounder, thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by willfraser View Post
    No worries scottar I will give it a go made with the TVG settings, the shows are good with the fain set right mine runs about 4-5 on gain which shows good fish sign, can you tell the difference in fish species with yours mate? I had it all worked out on my old lowrance with the shapes and colour but still working the furuno out, I suppose it will come with experience on the sounder, thanks mate.

Sort of Will but that is more to do with experience and knowing what you have caught off a particular looking show on a particular bottom than the sounder itself. To be honest though I usually don't go to that much trouble. Pretty much see fish - drop baits is about as technical as I get these days on a lot of occasions.

Blog Entries

Haha that's the go mate can't wait to fly home from work and hit these snapper

Seems to be a few about. Few tuskies about as well.

Blog Entries

Where are you stomping grounds mate

Usually fish out of South Passage or occasionally Jumpinpin. Either way I launch at Victoria Point. Fish anywhere from Tempest to the grounds off the coast. I have spend a fair bit of what little time I have managed around the Cathedrals area in recent history. Not generally outstanding fish but we usually manage a bag of good table fish over the course of a day. Every so often something with a bit more go lets us know who's boss.

Blog Entries

Nice mate, I've never ventured that far south but my old man use to hit it in the straddie classic days, I remember quality snapper and big pearlys in them days from them grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    Howdy. Used both a fair bit.
    the 588 is a solid performer for sure, not current tech at all but what tech it does run is very reliable and solid. they hold their value pretty well too so when you consider the extra cost its worth considering what it will also be worth in years to come.
    that being said. the S2009 is made to be a real toe to toe fighter to the 588. fun facts time.. larger screen, brighter screen, higher power output, networkable, CHIRP enabled .. so those factors would inditcate its a better unit. it does sort of suffer from The navico curse of needing software updates over its life. which isnt a bad thing, it shows development is progressive.

we have used a s2009 on a Tv boat of ours for a few months nearly a year actually?. with a SS175HW in PPB, just out the front to about 60mt. with very very very good results "once dialed in". the target seperation is the real winner. the 588, we have used to a great degree running tm260 transducers and 1 b175 transducer , performance at speed was pretty good . however we found it to be no major difference in bay fishing and just out the front.

for deeper water the lower frequecines or medium frequencies have proved to be pretty good. we recently had a s2016 with a B175M fishing off gippsland in 150m of water with some very suprising and decent results.

A lot would depend on your budget.
    a S2009+B175HW would be a recommended system for sure.
    If you went the 588 and 175hw, you would still be very happy for sure

Moose

Thanks for for the advise moose. Ive been eyeing off those simrad units for a while. They're definantly the right price. The problem is I don't deal with change very well so I've decided on the Furuno. I picked one up at the right price which made the decision a bit easier. Went with a b117 transducer for now. Maybe fit up a 1 kw down the track. Cheers mate

I agree with what your saying,Scott,I've had Furuno gear for 30yrs and am reluctant to change due to their reliability but I really like the info on Navionics compared to the old C-map, although I think Moose said something about Furuno compatibility these days.I used simrad on a few work boats but only shallow water. I think the ECDIS will determine my choice. Be watching for feedback from Barry on the 588, seems to be the go to for a lot of serious fishos.