Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: long distance towing

Re: long distance towing

Stories of woe ? once i went interstate to buy boat . Had reasurrence from seller the wheel bearings were good, check .got insurance,check,strapped the stern down.check all good .......Nek minnit flying down the brisbane freeway the bow eye had completely come of the boat due to hidden corrosion. winch strap and chains completely off. WOWSERS i said or something to that effect, luckily for me that stern strap held the boat in place and with a bit of winch rope to tie the bow down i happily continued my journey.

Just thank your lucky stars that you don't have to use the inland highways ..... those pieces of crap destroy trailers . last November we went from Sydney to Cairns (via Emerald) ended up shaking off both sets of brake calipers & by the time I got home I had both sets of spring hangers destroyed .

By comparison - your trip will be a milk runBroken right side spring hanger.jpg

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Split pins and some good quality fencing wire ?

When we tow long I take a hub replacement kit, it isn't expensive and it is easily put together. In an old ice cream bucket we have a complete spare hub with greased bearings and seal installed. A new axle nut, washer and split pin. Spanner for the brake calliper bolts. All jammed into the bucket with clean rag.

After towing big heavy boats at high speed we have had a number of roadside bearing failures, but since carrying the kit we never had one again (Murphy's law).

Darren

The best thing i ever did for my rig (after having 2 bearing failures) was to change my hubs over to the durahub system but only oil filled. The hubs definitely run alot cooler and the oil is very easy to check if its been contaminated. I've been towing for 4 years plus now without and incident and tow 6 hours in one hit at a time. On a sperate note: the durahib system requires alot of prep to get a perfect seal. The surface that the rear 'dust seal' sits aginst must be mirror smooth and free from imperfections. The oil in the hubs is still crystal clear after 8 months.....

GF
    Hmmmm good quality fencing wire ...... that must be the stuff that not rusty eh?

dura hubs sound like good bit of kit.

BigE

One thing you need to remember is.....how to get to my place to pick me up for the trip!