Thread: Filleting knifes

Filleting knifes

G'day all
    Any suggestions for a filleting knife, I'm an occasional fisher, don't fillet heaps of fish, mainly flatties, I like a Russell dexter 8inch I've seen on Everton.
    If you get one of these, after roughly how many fish do you need to sharpen, as I'm no expert, can you do this yourself etc. Any suggestions appreciated, I don't want to spend my life trying to sharpen it lol
    Cheers john

Re: Filleting knifes

A quick sharpen very often is best otherwise its a job

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Recently have been filleting a few mullet - like three to four hundred over a six hour day using a Victory filleting knife. Hands down the best knife I have found for holding an edge. Over the day I would probably give it a touch up 6-8 times on a diamond steel. We do get them professionally resharpened after a couple of days.

I recently purchased a sharpening system - just a cheapy on Ebay. Worth their weight in gold if like most of us you struggle with getting your knives really sharp.

I like all my Dexter Russel knives, filleting especially.
    Bought them in 1973 and best kept out of the dish washer.

What I'm looking for is a good steel that won't break the bank.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

I use a ceramic steel, puts on a nice edge , have a proper butchers steel as well but think the stone one gives a better edge.

BigE

I use those orange handle knives that you get at tackle world, Ballard is the brand name I think.

They cost about $25-$30 from memory and are super easy to put and keep a nice edge on, I prefer them over the Dexter and Fdick knives I have.

I like Kershaw or Victorinox.
    Best tip is to keep one basic knife in the boat with a small sharpener for bait, and the other better quality knife at home with a diamond steel for filleting.

these are good for keeping in the boat;
    https://www.petersofkensington.com.a...Sharpener.aspx
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

Lifeline and St Vinnies can be good for stocking up on boat knives. Occasionally get a good quality ones there. Like Wiltshire even.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marto78 View Post
    I use those orange handle knives that you get at tackle world, Ballard is the brand name I think.

They cost about $25-$30 from memory and are super easy to put and keep a nice edge on, I prefer them over the Dexter and Fdick knives I have.
    I'll second the Ballard knives. I found one out in my grandfathers shed when I was around 12-13. Still in my boat now and I often use it over the various $70-$100 knives I have collected.
    I grabbed another Ballard knife a few years ago so I could retire the old tart to bait duties and keep one in good shape for filleting.