Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alvey Reels Closing Down

Alvey Reels Closing Down

It has been announced that Alvey Reels is closing down.It is sad to see a Queensland icon will cease production.

Re: Alvey Reels Closing Down

Its always a shame when an iconic brand disappears.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

97 years in business... Old Charles will be turning in his grave

Cheap Chinese imports and the " must have " society along with the TOO well made product has killed it off.

Parts etc will still be available for a long time.

To assist with the process, please visit the site http://alvey.com.au/ and make a purchase of something that won't be around much longer.

A big thank you to all generations of Alvey for their Aussie spirit and incredible reels...

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

My god that's really tragic ,the old man will be turning in his grave . It's probably more about being spoilt for choice now with some many spinning reels of different quality and price the alvey didn't stand a chance I guess . When I was a lad and stated fishing an alvey was almost the only choice of fishermen if you wanted something that would last and could take salt water without dying,very sad day indeed there should be some sort of memorial that everyone could attend to say goodbye to an old friend , Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Sad day, that must be what happens when you make a great product. I still have a 650 star drag surf reel I was given as a gift for my 21st birthday 34 years ago, is used heaps and it still works great.
    Cheers

Very sad.... I need to make a huge purchase before they are gone for ever.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

What did they expect with a limited product line that lasts a lifetime..
    Never saw them advertised anywhere or being pushed on any fishing shows etc.
    And why they didn't capitalize on their well known brand name and increase and diversify their product list with their own designed and made spin and overhead reels has me stumped.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    What did they expect with a limited product line that lasts a lifetime..
    Never saw them advertised anywhere or being pushed on any fishing shows etc.
    And why they didn't capitalize on their well known brand name and increase and diversify their product list with their own designed and made spin and overhead reels has me stumped.
    They basically had 2 other problems, 1, the reels lasted forever and, 2, they manufactured every little item right down to the nuts, just not possible to survive in this global market doing that.

Not too sure manufacturing costs were the issue, it would be pretty simple to reduce costs, the reels are just not popular anymore, everyone wants a reel with 50 bearings and a thermo nuclear drag of 80 kg, rather than something that just "works" anyone purchased an Alvey in the last 5 years??

OH, I might add, I am not knocking their reels, they have been in business for a very long time in a tough market sector, I have a few of them, including a big deck winch.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Not too sure manufacturing costs were the issue, it would be pretty simple to reduce costs, the reels are just not popular anymore, everyone wants a reel with 50 bearings and a thermo nuclear drag of 80 kg, rather than something that just "works" anyone purchased an Alvey in the last 5 years??
    Add braided line to the list as well as the huge push from the industry in general and the sponsored media towards lure fishing. It is a huge shame that Alvey has become yet another victim of the changing times but personally I think the writing has been on the wall for a while now. Talking to a few guys from various clubs that do a heap of beach fishing, recruitment into the clubs at a junior level is at an all time low. The "bream,bass & barra" media barrage has effectively done to fishing what "The fast and the furious"and drifting did to the V8.

It is an extremely sad day when we lose an icon. I have a fleet of Alvey's and I will now add more. Reflecting what Noelm said, the push for cheap reels made from moon rocks with AT LEAST 50 bearings and a drag engineered in the Hadron collider has resulted in a generational shift away from the product. Fishing is actually not that difficult and the ease of use and functionality of the Alvey reel optimized this. The longevity of the product also saw existing users not needing to replace reels.

i also think the on mass brain washing of CONsumerism has deflated everyones expectation of products, I just had a conversation with my adult kids who impressed that their 700 dollar dryer lasted 6 years so it must be a good brand ???

does anyone really expect their $1000+ Stella to be functioning perfectly in 30 - 50 years with minimal service?

have several spin and O/H reels but realistically the kids will only every inherit the Alvey's some are mine some are my dad's make you think doesn't it.

All the best to the Alvey family and there employee's very very sad.

BigE

after reading this i slipped in to Jones tackle and snap up one of the Alvey gunnel rods nice bit of kit and now i have two.

I learned to fish when i was about 6 years old off the harbour wall in mackay using an alvey sidecast and a surf rod catching school mack's. Nothing quite like the strike of a mack burning your hand trying to stop the reel spinning backwards, trying to keep your fingers out of the way etc.

I think everyone should learn to fish with an alvey so that they learn about how much pressure you can put on a fish for the line class without the drag doing all the work. The amount of times I've seen people/mates these days winding flat out, either with o/h or spin reels, when the drag is going thinking they are gaining line... sad times.

i still use the big 9 inch alveys for bottom bashing over 50 or 60 m deep.

Sad to see Alvey going, I've been using the reels for 40 plus years, very reliable & simple to use, caught many tailor in the surf at fraser island with these reels, their ability to cope with salt water dunking must be close to unbeatable.
    Many thanks to Alvey.