Thread: Down rigger units

Ausfish New Member

Down rigger units

Hi all

Can anyone give me some feedback on best buy of a down rigger unit. Looking at a portable one that l can lock into a rod holder. Want to be able to move to & from different boats.

Cheers Spalli

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Down rigger units

For a <5m boat I have found this one to be perfect for my needs. IMO you can't go past the electric option of hitting a button and getting everything up and out of the way. Around $500 bucks delivered on the ebay. Swivel base from Amazon as an extra. Fits into the standard gimble so portable however I had a stainless fabricator mate make me two, one for each side astern, for extra strength.
    Supporting the local bloke issue aside it's ridiculous the mark up to buy local. Figure that even if a repair was ever required inside the usual warranty period , and there was an issue with warranty, you would still be well ahead paying for the fix.

http://www.downriggerreviews.com/rev...-24-inch-boom/

Attachment 115938

I run a pair of Cannon's. One manual and one electric. If you can see your way clear to get the electric you would never go back to a manual unit - even more so if you fish alone at times.

Ausfish New Member

Thanks guys! Yeah the electric option looks handy! Also a swivel base is a great idea, I'll have to chase someone down my way & see if they can get there heads around it!!

All ta best!!