Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marine batteries

Marine batteries

Hey,
    Had a few battery dramas. Seems both of mine are buggered.
    I'm thinking Sea Master Gold, as that's what i had before and they were good.
    Been looking at prices and they vary a lot. Anyone know where i can pick up a couple at a decent price?
    Or other options? Any other good ones out there?
    Cheers

Re: Marine batteries

I was less thna impressed with the last pair of Century's I bought, hardly used them and they gave up the ghost in under 12 months. Wont be visiting their brand again any time soon.

AC Delco for both start and houseDSCF1266.jpg Previous batch lasted 6 to 8 yrs
    What could go wrong.......................

Still using a single Optima (9 years) which has had lots major workouts with an electric winch, fishing water up to 150m at times and lots of shifting. I have heard Optima's are now made in Mexico not the USA but can't comment on quality.

TMC

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    AC Delco for both start and houseDSCF1266.jpg Previous batch lasted 6 to 8 yrs
    Just bought 4 of bigger versions of these for my cruiser. It came down to these or the exide msdp31. Same cca, rc, a/h and warranty. Could get the AcDelcos cheaper after some haggling - ended up paying $187 each for the hcm31's.

Heard good things about the Seamaster Gold batteries as well but just not available in the 31 case size I was after.

Optima get my vote - they hold their charge brilliantly & are very robust ....... they cost a fair bit more but well worth it IMO
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Where are located? I find 'Local Batteries' at Capalaba pretty good on Sea Master Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Man View Post
    Where are located? I find 'Local Batteries' at Capalaba pretty good on Sea Master Gold.
    Was talking to a mate of mine, he recommended this place too.
    So there is a few options.
    I have found the Seamaster Gold MFM48 for $169 each. Seems like a pretty good deal. http://www.supercharge.com.au/seamaster-gold.html
    MFM50 I think was $209
    Thinking about 2 of the MFM48s to replace my existing pair of batteries.
    Would that be suitable for a Suzuki 2-stroke 115? 4 cylinder. I reckon it should be plenty.....
    Future proofing.... Will likely upgrade to around a 140HP 4-stroke in the next year or 2, these batteries should still be suitable?
    Those AC Delcos for $187, what type and where? Would they be better then Seamasters?

Founded on suzuki ( in case that was the 140 you will do ):

https://suzukimarine.com.au/parts-an.../battery-specs

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

What could go wrong.......................

Thanks for the help. Will let you know what i end up getting.
    Leaning towards seamaster gold MFM70 now, found them at wynnum for $169.

Quote Originally Posted by gford001 View Post
    Those AC Delcos for $187, what type and where? Would they be better then Seamasters?
    ACDelcos HCM31SMF = 830CCA / 200 RC / 110 A/H. Yes the specs were better than the Seamasters when I last looked - but they are physically bigger than the Seamasters. Bought them last week from Challenge Batteries in Perth at $187 each and was quoted over $300 each at one place - so it pays to shop around.

If you want a dual purpose AGM, consider the SSB HVT-86D = 1000CCA and 130 A/H with 3 year warranty. I got prices on these for approx $317 each. I don't know of another AGM battery with those specs in a dual purpose battery and at that sort of value.

Blog Entries

You can purchase "blemished" marine batteries from the Century shop at Carole Park for $100 each .
    They don't offer a warrantee though ...
    Have run them in my boat for the last 5 years or so without any dramas ....

Quote Originally Posted by grinner2 View Post
    You can purchase "blemished" marine batteries from the Century shop at Carole Park for $100 each .
    They don't offer a warrantee though ...
    Have run them in my boat for the last 5 years or so without any dramas ....
    I bought my old boat with a blemished century battery. Was good.

Ended up with a pair of seamaster MFM70s. Got them from a place at Wynnum. Pretty happy with the $169 each i paid. Was quoted a trade special price for them at $229 elsewhere.