Thread: Which 90hp for 2004 510 ally craft bowrider?

Which 90hp for 2004 510 ally craft bowrider?

Hi

Looking to repower a 2004 510 bowrider. Currently has the original 75hp 2 stroke merc which gets it along ok max is around 30knts 1 up at 5400rpm. 18p vegance prop.
    Mainly fishing the bay and family day cruises.

Max hp is 100hp & 178kg transom weight.

Looking at either the new yammie 90 4 stroke which is 1.8lt or the merc which is 2.1tr. Motor weight is almost identical at at 163/166kg.

Hoping that someone can give me some real world reviews or comments on both motors. Both dealers say theirs is the better one naturally.

Will the extra .3lt make any real world difference? Not trying to set any water speed records just want a decent hole shot and a comfortable (less noise) cruise when taking the family out. Fuel economy would be a benefit also.

Had thought about going to 100hp merc but it's the same block as the 90hp and can't really see the value in the extra $$ for 10hp which would only be present at WOT.

Merc does come in the Command thrust gear box which means I could run a larger prop? Not sure if this is really necessary on the fairly light boat.

Appreciate any feedback on the new purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Which 90hp for 2004 510 ally craft bowrider?

Both brands are great, both producing 90HP at similar weight. It would really come down to who can do you the best deal $$ wise. You would be pleased with either.

On my previous boat, I had a merc 4 stroke 115HP. Nothing but praise for it. Run for 3 years, without an issue and looked like new when I sold the boat. Im certain that Yammie would be exactly the same.

Start negotiating with dealers for both and choose the best price - brand, reputation, longevity, performance, quality, fuel efficiency etc are essentially equal - it will come down to price

I re-rated my 2007 ally craft Bowrider to 115hp and put a 115etec from a merc90 2stroke. Loved the top end speed but the weight affected slow trolling badly. Suggest sticking sand bag weight difference of your new motor to give you an idea how boat will sit.

Thanks for the replies.

Re the weight on transom. Just moved the 2 batteries mid ship in readiness for the extra motor weight. Sits a little bow down now with the 2st motor and 2 up when not underway. Expecting this to level out once I put the heavier motor on. Current motor is 138kg so will be adding around 30kg extra with a 4 stroke.

Just out of interest what was involved in re-rating? Costly? Any Insurance issues.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by lenrok View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Re the weight on transom. Just moved the 2 batteries mid ship in readiness for the extra motor weight. Sits a little bow down now with the 2st motor and 2 up when not underway. Expecting this to level out once I put the heavier motor on. Current motor is 138kg so will be adding around 30kg extra with a 4 stroke.

Just out of interest what was involved in re-rating? Costly? Any Insurance issues.

Cheers.

http://www.kpsmaritime.com.au/Australian-Builder-s-Plates

Thanks for the link.