Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quintrex 560 legend Repower

Ausfish New Member

Quintrex 560 legend Repower

Hi guys first time poster
    i have a 1999 quintrex 560 legend center console with the old Yamaha V4 115 on it great engine just getting stick of the fuel its using last trip i did 9km and its drank 20L of fuel it does have 1200 hrs on it so i want to upgrade to a 4 stroke in 115hp or 130hp
    what are peoples experience with these new outboards Yamaha Suzuki mercury etc etc any help would be great with so many option its hard to make up my mind

Re: Quintrex 560 legend Repower

Hi. I have a 2003 560 Quinnie Classic runabout. I did have a 130hp Yamaha 2 stroke which would max out at 70km/h.

I know you've asked about different motors but I'll give you my story for additional context.

When i repowered i looked at the maximum 115hp in Suzuki but ended up going for 90hp instead. It's a smaller block which at the time was about $2500 cheaper. For insurance purposes I wasn't interested in going above maximum rating.

I average about 0.4l/km and rarely wish for more HP. It's only glass out days that i can go top speed of 55km/h and i find that fast enough for my style of boating. For the rest of the time i enjoy the fuel economy.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

What is the max HP rating?

All the modern day 4 strokes are much the same, Look for the best deal and the best dealer to where you are located.

Ausfish New Member

im getting the max hp upgraded to 135 im really looking at yamaha 130 and the 135 mercury
    yamaha 1.8L vs 3.0L mercury i can get both at the same price has any used the new mercury?

Hi hobby, while not having either engine, I know people with both the yam 130 and a merc 150
    The merc 135, is a detuned 150
    A few things to consider, the yami weighs in at 172 kg and is effectively the 115 tricked up. the merc is a 3 litre and weighs in at 206kg, now thats a big weight difference to consider. The merc on a 5.4 fibreglass, (150) tops out past 80km ph, its a 3 litre power house. the yam performs well on a mates 5.5, but there's a HUGE difference in performance between the two, the merc is at another level.
    Have you considered the new 115 merc, at about 165 kg and its a 2 litre engine, ( bigger cubic capacity than the yam 130 ) that's an option to look at.
    my mate with his 150 merc, actually confessed to me that it was over kill for his 5.4 and if he had it over again he would have opted for the 115...
    there's a comparison test on u tube, with the new 115 merc, shaping up against the 125 opti, it out performed the opti at both top end and hole shot.

All good engines, most new brands now are pretty good, and the new breed of 4 strokes are well and truly catching up to 2 stroke performance i'll be in the same boat as you soon, choosing a power plant.
    good luck

My CC530 Explorer had a 115 CT Merc. incredible motor, top speed ~65kmh, but more importantly cruised at 3200-3500 rpm and drank about 2.2km/L. I'd reckon that would be more than sufficient on your lighter boat. And you wouldn;t need to re-rate. Mat

Go the cubes.
    Just swapped a 140 Zuke (2.0l) for 150merc (3.0l). Difference is night and day, transformed the boat. Still cruises at 25kts for 20l/hr, but merc does it at 3500rpm rather than 4800 for the zuke. Top end went from 35kts to 41 one up. Two up Mercury hardly changed, zuke dropped 2-3kts.
    Cubes makes a huge difference to how the boat drives and how much you have to work the throttle in a sea. The zuke made 145nm torque, the merc makes 244nm. Different league. Go the biggest cubes the transom weight will allow. The yammy at 1.8 will be low in torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Blog Entries

I have a 5.6m 2001 model Spirit ( cuddy cab ) Did have a thirsty 2stroke 115 merc on the back , upgraded to a 115hp four stroke Suzuki 3 years ago & have never regretted it !!
    Fuel consumption is 1/2 what I used to use , & quiet as a mouse .

Wouldnt go any bigger than a 115 myself. It will produce more than enough power and you would rarely use it all unless it was dead flat. 30 knots is heaps fast enough in a tinny and the 115 will get you there with ease. The lower weight and cheaper price makes the decision easy in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Camhawk88 View Post
    Wouldnt go any bigger than a 115 myself. It will produce more than enough power and you would rarely use it all unless it was dead flat. 30 knots is heaps fast enough in a tinny and the 115 will get you there with ease. The lower weight and cheaper price makes the decision easy in my book.
    Totally agree...
    I was looking at the 130 yam a while back as an option but couldn't believe how much coin they wanted for it, to be the same price as the 135 Merc, is ridiculous, an 1800cc 115 tricked up to be re born as a 130, the same price as a 3 ltr !! and I like the yam engines.
    I'm still 6 months or so away before I seriously start to hand over some hard earned, but I've been around and looked at everything from Suzuki, Merc, Yamaha, Etec and after a few weekends of doing that, being told by the Suzuki bloke that the 140 is more powerful than the 150 Merc, the Yami bloke that there new 130 is the most powerful in its class, the Etec bloke that says there's shits over any other model I'm over it, I'll make my final decision on the internet and talking to blokes down at the local ramp or guys I know with the specific engine range I'm looking at. Been a big turn off in all honesty, I haven't been in one showroom yet, where I've gone up and asked for some literature on an engine, it takes less that 2 minutes for the sales man to start slagging competition with no prompting from me, it really has been an eye opener hearing it all, dunno what other people have experienced, but I recon that could be well served just talking up the benefits of what there selling rather than immediately go on the slag wagon towards there competition............
    anyway, that's just been my experience

I don't quite see your reasoning there, just because it's 1.8L it should be cheaper than a 3L of the same HP?

My experience was that an etec 130 had as much get up and go as a suzuki140.
    Step up to a 150hp is like a whole other world.. Under 150 your going to push to get over 60km/hr. with a !50 your pushing 80km/hr.. The bigger blocks have far more torque. If your going to stay under 150, 90,115, 130,135 is not going to be all that different. If you do go 150, the etec gen2 has so much to offer.

It is a 5.6m pressed alloy boat. Why are we talking about 150hp??

Honestly, a pressed alloy boat should not be taken above 30 knots on anything more than a foot of chop. It is both uncomfortable and is likely to result in hull damage.

Not to mention getting the hull re-rated to take more horesepower and weight than originally designed is likely to result in poor manners at rest and probably underway.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I don't quite see your reasoning there, just because it's 1.8L it should be cheaper than a 3L of the same HP?
    Perfect reasoning I'd say. Bigger block, more material, cost of engineering to get in small form factor...
    on another note, the Merc 115 is 2.1L BTW.