Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calling all cat owners -sounder information

Re: Calling all cat owners -sounder information

Yeah, I have been talking to people on a furuno site on Facebook and one person has a 2700 Noosa cat with the setup in proposing with good results,

The motor would still be at a guess a good 600mm away from the transducer.

No the sounder is great at rest can have 10 gain in 100m of water for no noise at all on the 200hz. Picks everything up on the bottom. It's when it's underway it still reads the bottom but very sketchy and drops depth.

In flat water it's a lot better but still not where it should be.

The shallow it is the better it holds though.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Just need to make sure you aren't chasing your tail with prop noise as against turbulence. If the picture in shallow is great at speed and only fills with noise as the gain is increased to cope with deeper water, you may not see much difference. If the picture quality reduces at speed no matter what the depth it's worth chasing as that is most likely water flow as against engine/prop noise. If it is gapping (loses the bottom image all together due to air or heavy turbulence) also worth a shot. If it doesn't work perfect first crack with the block, also worth trimming the fairing to create a slight "bow up" attitude for the transducer. You can find the flush mount through hulls sometimes have the slightest lip where the potting compound isn't perfectly leveled as well - this isn't necessarily all the way around the transducer so a slight rotation may provide better water flow (applicable for non tilted element transducers only). The other thing that may also help is fairing the front edge to get rid of the slight step that the water has to travel over - few things to look at / try.

Quote Originally Posted by 33tamarind View Post
    hi feral cat have you any photo of your tranny set up thank 33tamarind

20170722_122820.jpg Hi mate, Can take a pic in the coming days but this is how mine reads at 25knts plus. Pics up any little detail on the bottom at speed. In this case it was a little lump with bulk bait hanging off it where we pulled a couple reds.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Just need to make sure you aren't chasing your tail with prop noise as against turbulence. If the picture in shallow is great at speed and only fills with noise as the gain is increased to cope with deeper water, you may not see much difference. If the picture quality reduces at speed no matter what the depth it's worth chasing as that is most likely water flow as against engine/prop noise. If it is gapping (loses the bottom image all together due to air or heavy turbulence) also worth a shot. If it doesn't work perfect first crack with the block, also worth trimming the fairing to create a slight "bow up" attitude for the transducer. You can find the flush mount through hulls sometimes have the slightest lip where the potting compound isn't perfectly leveled as well - this isn't necessarily all the way around the transducer so a slight rotation may provide better water flow (applicable for non tilted element transducers only). The other thing that may also help is fairing the front edge to get rid of the slight step that the water has to travel over - few things to look at / try.
    Hey Scottar

Well i installed the 20mm Plastic spacer, i angled the front but didn't chamfer the front at this stage, Took it for a test run on the weekend for a fish and well it has made it better for sounding still not great though but is now just playing havoc with the motor she just cavitates so easily now.

I have put the boat in the shed as it is just starting to get to me at the moment but i will chamfer the front and try to make it a little better for water flow. Failing that i dont know what else to do, before i get rid of the transducer i will try and do some more research but in the end i may have to cut up the floor and install a wet box?

I don't really like the sound of that as its just going to cost me a packet so will keep trying with this and see how i go.

Cheers Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Skusto View Post
    Hey Scottar

Well i installed the 20mm Plastic spacer, i angled the front but didn't chamfer the front at this stage, Took it for a test run on the weekend for a fish and well it has made it better for sounding still not great though but is now just playing havoc with the motor she just cavitates so easily now.

I have put the boat in the shed as it is just starting to get to me at the moment but i will chamfer the front and try to make it a little better for water flow. Failing that i dont know what else to do, before i get rid of the transducer i will try and do some more research but in the end i may have to cut up the floor and install a wet box?

I don't really like the sound of that as its just going to cost me a packet so will keep trying with this and see how i go.

Cheers Dan
    Bugger. Can only try reducing the thickness to see if you can find a comfortable medium. Could also try packing out the top of the bracket to create a "bow up" attitude on the transducer. Where are you based?

Yeah it's pull hair out material especially after the outlay.

That is what I'm going to do on Friday I will chamfer the front up and maybe cut the back on the angle? I'll attach a photo and see what you think.

At least I have enough to cut another if it doesn't work.

Live on the Northside of Brisbane in shorncliffe.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Is it a new transducer?
    I chased my tail for quite some time years ago with engine noise interfering with the reading and skipping bottom etc., All it was in the end was the transducer being worn out. Aparently the crystals inside break down and start to create havoc on readings and interference etc. New transducer and mounted into original spot on the transom and reads perfectly. Just a thought mate.

Yeah it's brand new unless it is faulty which I suppose could be plausible.

May have found the problem, prop has a lot of play looks like the prop bush is buggered, caviatation is not the cause and just prop slipping by the looks..

howd ya go skusto? any updates

No updates as of yet, still have to get the props fixed before more trials.

Had to stop spending money on the boat for a bit.. ha ha

Had to stop spending money on the boat for a bit.. ha ha

Never....wash your mouth out LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Never....wash your mouth out LOL.
    Ha ha ha got to keep the partner on side and have been pushing my luck just a little too much!!

Should have seen her face when I was very tempted to change motors yesterday at the boat show.. that stare nearly killed me..

Ha ha ha got to keep the partner on side and have been pushing my luck just a little too much!!

Should have seen her face when I was very tempted to change motors yesterday at the boat show.. that stare nearly killed me..

............I am the Captain of my Ship.......and I have the wife's permission to say so.......unless she reads this in which case take it all back. I feel your pain LOL.

Anymore updates ? Was thinking of going m260 in hull to save the drama but am getting conflicting info on whether the furuno 588 rezboost and bottom discrim functions will work

Mercury 115ct going strong😁