Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calling all cat owners -sounder information

Re: Calling all cat owners -sounder information

Looks good dirtyfuzz!

Well I'm hoping it will read really well, it should as it's on the lowest point and cleanest point on the boat as well as being a far way away from the engines. Time will tell in about 3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Calling all cat owners -sounder information

Well the cart is back in its new home shed got built while it was away, sounder is installed and ready for testing.

Hoping the weather gods let us out this wkend.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

That is so beautiful was just about to ask for an update, was looking on the airman site seeing if the wiring for a through hull is waterproof and couldn't find anything!

Mercury 115ct going strong😁

They look fully sealed and have been told a few times from different people that they are, so i have gone on that basis.

Have seen a few set ups the same so can only assume that it will be fine.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Skusto View Post
    They look fully sealed and have been told a few times from different people that they are, so i have gone on that basis.

Have seen a few set ups the same so can only assume that it will be fine.

Cheers
    What angle degree tranny did you go with?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    What angle degree tranny did you go with?

0 degree, can only get it in bronze in zero I tried to get stainless but they don't do it.

That is so beautiful was just about to ask for an update, was looking on the airman site seeing if the wiring for a through hull is waterproof and couldn't find anything!

Not an issue fully submersible

Calling all cat owners -sounder information

Alright had some time spare this afternoon do dunked the cat in the water to test the sounder, lucky we did as one of the throttle cable crimps let go and reverse was null and void on one engine so been running around all afternoon finding another cable so as we can head out wide tomorrow.

Done some quick testing and it reads well at 45km, it does skip a little here and there but picks it back up straight away, I have seen people put about a 10mm spacer to lower the thru hull a little more into the water so will give it a good test tomorrow and if needed may play around with it and do what others have done.

So far so good though and a huge improvement over the older sounder.

Cheers dan

Well the cart is back in its new home shed got built while it was away, sounder is installed and ready for testing.

Hoping the weather gods let us out

That looks great setup, you might get another one for the other side to even out the ride as it looks big enough to act like a trim tab

Alright had some time spare this afternoon do dunked the cat in the water to test the sounder, lucky we did as one of the throttle cable crimps let go and reverse was null and void on one engine so been running around all afternoon finding another cable so as we can head out wide tomorrow.

Done some quick testing and it reads well at 45km, it does skip a little here and there but picks it back up straight away, I have seen people put about a 10mm spacer to lower the thru hull a little more into the water so will give it a good test tomorrow and if needed may play around with it and do what others have done.

So far so good though and a huge improvement over the older sounder.

Cheers dan

Ok you have convinced me that I might go this way instead of a wet box, only issue I have is The alloy pods are mounted so would have to be spaced out as opposed to flush like yours, but still have 150mm overall of room under pods,
    Thanks for sharing much appreciated

Ok you have convinced me that I might go this way instead of a wet box, only issue I have is The alloy pods are mounted so would have to be spaced out as opposed to flush like yours, but still have 150mm overall of room under pods,
    Thanks for sharing much appreciated

Hey dirty fuzz

Don't go this way just yet I still have to do some tinkering to do, sounder fine yesterday when stationary and below 10knots, but kept getting interference after that, so I will have to drop it I'm thinking around 20mm.

I'm going to put like a plastic spacer in between the transducer and bracket to drop it below hull level and see if throw will help.

See attached photo on what I'm thinking.

Dan, that leading edge on the bracket is probably what's causing the problems, I thought you were going as per the one in the other photo where the bracket is flush with the hull.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Dan, that leading edge on the bracket is probably what's causing the problems, I thought you were going as per the one in the other photo where the bracket is flush with the hull.
    I was of the same conclusion thought it was just a flush mount bracket under pod until the side view pic

Hi dignity

Sorry I might be confusing people, the bracket that I had made site flush with the hull and is a extension of the hull.

But it's still getting interference when under way, I can only assume once the cat is up on the plane as it doesn't really draw too much water it's getting bubbles around the trans,

What I'm going to try is putting a 20mm spacer in a tear drop shape like above pick to drop transducer below hull level, with this I'm hoping it will get clean water when under way.

I'm no expert and only going by what I have heard and seen but apparently dropping it lower and having that tear drop shape allows a sort of positive charge if you want to call it that and reduces the amount of bubbles around the transducer.

I have noticed a lot of the professional installers are doing this with there larger model 2kw and 3kw thru hull transducers.

I don't know if 20mm will be enough or work but currently it isn't exactly right, I will try to get you guys a couple of other photos as well for reference to add to this thread in case any other cat owners decide to do the same thing.

It's worth a shot - just be careful about taking water away from the prop or worse - the intakes. Is the noise there in all depths or only once you turn the gain up for deeper water offshore.