Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Towing Performance

Re: Towing Performance

F-I-L is on 2nd V6 TD Tourag. Been awesome. He tows a 23' van with his and is full time grey nomad. Drives like a car and gets great economy. Only drama with prior one was some plastic connecting rod off something on the exhaust was costly to source. Everything else we go through a mate with a mechanics shop and avoid genuine if possible. VW reem you for dealer servicing too. First one was second hand so after the warranty that was fine. This one is a demo so he is going dealer servicing for the time being for warranty.

Drove a 200 series a couple of months ago. Big Cruisers and Patrols are still trucks the way they feel IMHO.

i too would like to know if any one has the super select pajero and their thoughts, previously had the 80 series good truck in their day , agricultral now compared to the new age trucks of today... anyone got a TUNDRA ?

Towing Performance

Out-station, I have had 3 different tow tractors for the same boat over the last 8 1/2 yrs. D40 D/cab 2.5TD manual, Paj 3.2DiD Auto, and LC200 TTD. Boat is 3t fully loaded. I have posted towing reports on the D40 and Paj for the same trips (1770 return), can't recall if I have posted same for the 200 but think I did.

The D40 was ok once wound up on the highway, and the long wheelbase was great, but around town & my driveway was a struggle due to insufficient torque down low and being a manual. I got 20 or 40k out of it towing this boat (had another boat first) before I did the clutch.

Paj was much better towing overall, but you did notice the drop in wheelbase. The paj was pushed around less on the highway, and the auto a good match and good on the h/way so long as you drove in manual mode and kept the T/C locked up by downshifting early.

LC200 kills them both, tows much faster and easier, with negligible economy loss when towing (even slightly better economy when you factor in the faster speed). Much heavier truck also makes a huge difference (much better) - but also comes at a significant premium.

I use/used a WDH on long trips with all 3 as the lack of pitching as a result makes long trips so much better - IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    ...The ability to reverse on bitumen in low range, in four wheel drive while going around a corner was another reason for my change to the 200. There aren't too many rigs around that can do this as most have traditional 4wd systems...
    This was/is also a huge benefit for me.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    ...Not sure how the Pajero's super select system copes with this - someone may chip in.
    No good, winds up like a bastard (like any normal LR 4WD where you can't unlock the front hubs). However, otherwise the SS2 is a great system (I have owned 2 x 3.5L Paj's too. Love this on the beach, and in fact prefer the 3.5 paj's on the beach than the Cruiser and the 3.2Paj.

Can't comment on the Everest, but the engine has plenty of oomph, and I know the ranger tows the same boat well. In this category however I personally would probably stick with the Paj (tried and proven and have not had any dramas with any of my Paj's).

Whatever you decide, stick with the auto.
    Cheers
    Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Thanks for that Brendon and others, got some thinking (and maybe some budgeting) to do.
    Scott