Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: House battery charging from twin DF175 Suzuki's

Re: House battery charging from twin DF175 Suzuki's

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

IMG_7051.jpg

The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Dirty fuzz, way to easy mate, thanks soo much.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

If you can believe the circuit drawn in their brochure, running two engines aux charge inputs into one battery shouldn't matter. Electrically it ends up no different to running the engine on a single battery without an auxillary output. The suzuki has two separate regulators that in normal use are simply paralleled. When the auxillary charge circuit is used they are split - one for each output. I would be looking at something to do with the wiring possibly as a cause. Do you have a good heavy negative link between all of the batteries onboard? Do you have any battery management gear fitted that monitors current in and out of the batteries?

Hi Scottar, thanks for that. As I say, it worked fine for 18 months with both charging so it possible is something else? The negative links are extremely heavy, I am confident they will be ok. I have taken all the terminals off today and cleaned them. Maybe I will put all the fuses back in and try and eliminate other possible causes.
    I don't have any battery management gear at all fitted

Hi Lee,
    I have the same setup as you.
    Each engine charges each start battery separately.
    These are isolated to an isolator switch and I use to run another cable from this through a VSR to the house battery but found the VSR would only last a year or so and wouldn't charge the house battery.
    I ended up dumping the VSR after replacing it 3 times and putting in another isolator switch which I turn on whilst running around all day and charges all 3 batteries. I then shut off the isolator switch when anchored at night with no probs.
    Just need to remember to do this
    I also have solar panels that charge up to a rate of 13amps per hour.
    I run everything, stereo all day, Waeco 80ltr fridge, radar etc without any problems apart from having a low house battery in the mornings.
    Once underway I switch to all 3 batteries and it charges pretty quickly.
    I think you could have a dud battery as Nomad mentioned going by what you are describing.

Cheers Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post
    Hi Tenzing, I am charging a start battery for each engine off each engine, so 2 start batteries charging individually, and then a house battery that i believe can be charged by either both engines or either engine depending on where the fuses are placed?
    Does that make sense?

Ok, If the assembly has been working for 18 months prior then its most likely a field/wiring issue. Genuine short in one of your devices somewhere popping fuses. Coukd be dodgy Anderson plug. Moisture ingress or most likely a wire rubbed through somewhere. Maybe not shorting/grounding all the time but on occasion.
    Faulty bilge/deckwash pumps are a big one for popping fuses.
    A ceased motor will draw a lot of current.

Do you have access to any multimeters?

Hi Moejoes, I had heard numerous other people having similar VSR lifespans which was why I was hesitant to go this way. On my last boat I did a similar thing to you with only 1 engine and 2 batteries in turning the start battery off when camped up and charging both when running.
    I will keep an eye on the house battery voltage and see if it drops, it is maintaining 13volts at the moment though.
    Thanks for your ideas
    Lee

Hi Flex, all my bilge pumps have recently been replaced. The only pump that has not been replaced is the live bait tank pump which was in use on both the last trips when the fuses popped? It has its own inline fuse which is not blowing but?
    Yes I have a good multimeter. What are you thinking I should be checking? Can I check current draw on the pump when running without a clamp meter?

Hi Lee,
    Get yourself one of these.
    http://www.enerdrive.com.au/brands/e...e-epro-brands/
    Hook it up to your house battery.
    It will tell you voltage, Total amps used, amount amps being drawn and amps pumping back into your battery as you have items switched on, percentage of battery life.
    You can also hook your start batteries up to it which will only tell you voltage of start batteries.
    I find it very informative.
    They are in Tingalpa.

Cheers Rob.

Gday Rob, that is exactly what I need. I never even really gave one a thought. I will be on to that straight away. It may not solve my issue but I will certainly be able to monitor it a lot better.
    Thanks for the idea
    Lee

So you've got 30amp fuse between the motor charge cables and the house battery?
    whats the maximum output current of the 175 auxiliary charge circuit under full load? could it be more than 30 amps? easiest way is to use a clamp meter to see what its actually drawing. The main charge system off the suzuk is capable of about 40 odd amps isn't it?
    Could it be as simple as when your doing over night trips your draining your house battery and in the morning you start up and pop your fuse?

Also each device then down stream of the battery has its own fuse?
    to test wiring(check the wiring from your outboard to your battery first)
    Disconnect all your electronic stuff off your house battery.charging circuit.
    Do a quick insulation test to ground/earth to quickly determine if any wiring is down to earth(rubbed through) instead of chasing cables (if your meter can insulation test)
    if not id check the integrity of the cables from your outboard regulator to your battery. If its dropping to ground intermittently then that will pop a fuse.
    Although this seems unlikely if both motors are doing fuses?..

If your live bait tank pumps ok and works then its probably not the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    So you've got 30amp fuse between the motor charge cables and the house battery?
    whats the maximum output current of the 175 auxiliary charge circuit under full load? could it be more than 30 amps? easiest way is to use a clamp meter to see what its actually drawing. The main charge system off the suzuk is capable of about 40 odd amps isn't it?
    Could it be as simple as when your doing over night trips your draining your house battery and in the morning you start up and pop your fuse?

Also each device then down stream of the battery has its own fuse?
    to test wiring(check the wiring from your outboard to your battery first)
    Disconnect all your electronic stuff off your house battery.charging circuit.
    Do a quick insulation test to ground/earth to quickly determine if any wiring is down to earth(rubbed through) instead of chasing cables (if your meter can insulation test)
    if not id check the integrity of the cables from your outboard regulator to your battery. If its dropping to ground intermittently then that will pop a fuse.
    Although this seems unlikely if both motors are doing fuses?..

If your live bait tank pumps ok and works then its probably not the pump.
    Specs have the total output from two paralleled regulators at 44 amps. No details on the figures when split but making the assumption that the regs are the same - 22 amps total output each so there should be no way any load from the boat should blow the fuse. If however there is something funny going on at the motor end, current from the battery could very definitely blow the fuse. If there was a short to ground in the cables after the fuse there would have been a heap of smoke by now unless there is another fuse in the charge lines at the batteries.

My money at this stage is still on something funny going on with the negative links, the regs themselves or possibly in the actual motor harness/magneto ("upsteam" of the fuse). First thing I would do is a voltage check between all the various negative posts - should be zero volts with any combination.

Thanks guys, lots there to check. I am away for a few days now but will be back onto it on Tuesday. I'll follow all those ideas up and report back with what I find.

Thanks again
    Lee

Gday guys, I got the information from Suzuki and the fuse positions so I have followed that and went for a fish on Tuesday. No issues yet. The information says that 1 engine charges at 30 amps, 2 engines into 1 battery 60 amps so depending on how much charge a battery can handle dictates how many engines you hook up to the battery. I have just gone with 1 engine charging. Can a 100ah house battery accept 60amps of charge?
    I did notice on Tuesday that when the engines are not running, my live bait pump pulls the house voltage down to 11.8v? Is this normal? It only goes up to about 13.4v when running engine and live bait pump. With no pump running and engine off it sits at 12.4v and 14.1v with engine running?
    I have just got this enerdrive eLite as Moejoes recommended so hopefully will be able to keep a close eye on where the power is going.

Thanks for the advice guys, it is much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Lee
    IMG_7056.jpg