Re: Boat trailer build

Guess what I'm doing today????

Planting some turf?

Haha. Kidding of course.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

When i take this trailer to get rego, am I allowed to have the boat on it?

Thanks for the reply Marchy, havent been on here for a while. I was trying to get my trailer done for the annual road trip but ive put it on hold. Better the devil you know ----. Dont want any teething trouble 3000 ks from home. Sounds like youre just about ready for rego?

Ausfish Platinum Member

If you've done this before you don't need me to tell you, but, for the record---every single tiny bit of slag or inclusion left on the welds will be somewhere the gal won't stick. Very disappointing having your hard work come back from the galvanisers to find bits missing. I thought I had gone over mine really well, but, no, had to touch up little spots with cold gal spray.

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    If you've done this before you don't need me to tell you, but, for the record---every single tiny bit of slag or inclusion left on the welds will be somewhere the gal won't stick. Very disappointing having your hard work come back from the galvanisers to find bits missing. I thought I had gone over mine really well, but, no, had to touch up little spots with cold gal spray.
    Yep I went over it multiple times even ground out a couple of welds that were ok but was not 100% confident they were perfect.
    Got back from galv and not too bad but a few spots here and there that I'm not super happy with. As long as the insides of the chassis rails are good I'm happy and I won't know until it rusts out so I'll let you know in x years time.

So I guess it's time to say that little journey is over. Rego done this morning pretty quick and painless actually. Boat on by lunch time and a quick trip out to Moogerah dam to run the boat and see how the trailer went.
    All in all I'm pretty happy with the final pruduct. Some slight oversights along the way but nothing major.
    Electric/Hyd brakes as much as it was painful to set up and I'm sure maintenance will shit me they are bloody nice to drive with compared to override brakes.

Anyway a picture tells a thousand words so here they are.

Would I do it again...... yes but not in a suburban garage.

Will add up total cost this week some time.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Better than a bought one.... Excellent job

Tick in the box. Very nice

Looks like a pro job mate, well done. What weight/size is that motor please.

Boat trailer build

Quote Originally Posted by fishtragic View Post
    Looks like a pro job mate, well done. What weight/size is that motor please.
    225 4 stroke. 280kg from memory. Sold it and going to a 175 etec, Far too heavy for the boat.

700kg tare weight 2.31t with boat on no gear 1/4 fuel. Rated the trailer to 2.8t so should always have plenty of fat for fish, gear etc etc. now I just need to upgrade the tow rig as it's max tow weight is 2.3t