Boat trailer build

Well I finally ran out of steel to weld bandaids to on my old trailer, it was first registered in 2002 so it did an ok job I'm thinking. That being said I didn't see the need to change much about the design so I am pretty much copying what I've got just going slightly larger and heavier steel as it's getting elec brakes and a 2.8-3t ATW.

So far I'm 2 weekends into the job and finally it's starting to look like a trailer. Roller brackets done and frame almost ready for welding. Trying to build a trailer that will be 7m long in a garage that's 5.5m long is very very painful along with the added bonus of hunting for tools after the children "help" from time to time adds to the overall experience.

Anyway some progress shots thus far. Main rails are 150x50x4 RHS, cross members are 100x50 PFC drawbar will be 125x75x4 RHS. Will take some grunting to get it out of the garage that's for sure!

Ausfish Bronze Member

Re: Boat trailer build

What gauge material? I built one myself a few years back--as you did, I more or less copied the existing, but substituted a proper rocker/roller tandem assembly for the rubbish dual slipper springs of the original. And went to heavier walled material. Only place I fell down was not spotting a few little slag inclusions, which mean the galv wouldn't take on those spots.
    Do you know about the owner builder provisions for issue of a compliance plate? Simple process which keeps it all kosher for later change of ownership.

4mm for the RHS is what I'm going with. The original was either 2.5 or 3mm and smaller section sizes too. Was considering 5mm for draw bar but it's lasted 16 years being 75x75x3mm RHS surely 125x75x4 will do a similar job. The PFC for cross members is something like 6.5mm top and bottom with 4.2 for the webbing from memory so hopefully as strong as 50x50x3 RHS.

Hey Marchy,
    I'll be keen to see how you go about the compliance plate. I'm half way through a rebuild in aluminium for mine.

I was contemplating that very thing today. I could re attach the factory one and then get the trailer re rated / modified to the desired ATM.

Or continue with current plan and register it as a new trailer. Thinking it will probably be easier to register it as a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marchy001 View Post
    I was contemplating that very thing today. I could re attach the factory one and then get the trailer re rated / modified to the desired ATM.

Or continue with current plan and register it as a new trailer. Thinking it will probably be easier to register it as a new one.
    You will need to register new as it is new and don't forget to notify your insurance company also. It certainly will be much better than the original trailer and you will notice the difference driving down the road, well done