Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sus . ( sustainable ) fishing strategy. 2017 - 2027.

Re: Sus . ( sustainable ) fishing strategy. 2017 - 2027.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I've seen the results of netting ..... bycatch & indiscriminate killing . I've seen the undersized tailor litter the inside of Fraser Island after a days fishing. Another example was when the impoundments overflowed - the commercial guys netted the systems as soon as they could - what was caught went to market & was rejected . Any one with half a brain would know that these barramundi would be no good & instead of letting them be to eventually help with local recruitment ...... in came the pros & removed something like 300 tonne (Boyne River)
    The other point is that netting can decimate an area for days if not weeks at a time .
    It is also well known that once commercial netting has been removed from an area the fish stocks & recreational fishing improves dramatically.

Chris
    i remember the season on the boyne river your referring to In fact commercials were banned from netting the river from memory for nearly two years until the recs had caught their fill or either contributed to stressing out fish which in hindsight may have helped cause the red spot infection that in the end closed the fishery.
    As far as Barra getting thrown out I didn't see that at any coop although the price did fall to record lows of $6 kg or less for wild which is cheap but you get that a lot of the time when there's a influx of fish of one specie around it comes down to a lot of factors one which happens a lot in mackeral season is the massive influx of black market fish so people just don't go to fish shops to buy any.
    As far as kg figures getting thrown around and who deserves the resource more or less that can be done with anything just for shits and giggles let's say there's 1 million recs fishing well below the cry I hear about 3 million lets just say they take half a kg of fish a week on average over the course of a year that's 26000 thousand tonnes of fish taken out of the wild annually and I don't know a rec with low catch rates as such with an average of a measly 25 kg a year all recs I know get more than that per trip or for singular fish you can start to understand the carnage that is happening out there and there low figures being meagerly generous and if you say most offshore species have a mortality rate of 50% average you may have another 10000 tonnes plus of dead by catch which I'd say is way under what the figures actually is these types of numbers eclipse commercial numbers which are set I stone through heavily policed log returns.
    And both could be said if you stop the recs fishing for a period the fishing starts to get really good the fish aren't spooked mortality rates of fish don't happen and you don't see kilometers of dead and dying fish with baratrauma floating around.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    i remember the season on the boyne river your referring to In fact commercials were banned from netting the river from memory for nearly two years until the recs had caught their fill or either contributed to stressing out fish which in hindsight may have helped cause the red spot infection that in the end closed the fishery.
    As far as Barra getting thrown out I didn't see that at any coop although the price did fall to record lows of $6 kg or less for wild which is cheap but you get that a lot of the time when there's a influx of fish of one specie around it comes down to a lot of factors one which happens a lot in mackeral season is the massive influx of black market fish so people just don't go to fish shops to buy any.
    As far as kg figures getting thrown around and who deserves the resource more or less that can be done with anything just for shits and giggles let's say there's 1 million recs fishing well below the cry I hear about 3 million lets just say they take half a kg of fish a week on average over the course of a year that's 26000 thousand tonnes of fish taken out of the wild annually and I don't know a rec with low catch rates as such with an average of a measly 25 kg a year all recs I know get more than that per trip or for singular fish you can start to understand the carnage that is happening out there and there low figures being meagerly generous and if you say most offshore species have a mortality rate of 50% average you may have another 10000 tonnes plus of dead by catch which I'd say is way under what the figures actually is these types of numbers eclipse commercial numbers which are set I stone through heavily policed log returns.
    And both could be said if you stop the recs fishing for a period the fishing starts to get really good the fish aren't spooked mortality rates of fish don't happen and you don't see kilometers of dead and dying fish with baratrauma floating around.
    cheers
    Mate ..... really , where do you get this stuff from ?

first up the Boyne ban ...... it was only till the opening of the season on Feb 1 ( I was at Awoonga during the spill) & I know all about the commercial fishing that went on once the season opened.

rec anglers in the most populous state (NSW) is around 850,000 - of those around 600,000 are licenced ... so any talk of millions in Qld is just rubbish. The average days fished per angler in NSW is just 7
    as for the fish take ? ...... the old saying that 10% of the fishoes catch 90% of the fish rings true ...... from my time in clubs - time with family / friends etc ..... any notion of 500g / week / angler is so off the mark . The reality is that NSW recreational anglers catch around 30% of what the commercial catch is ( look it up)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Mate ..... really , where do you get this stuff from ?

first up the Boyne ban ...... it was only till the opening of the season on Feb 1 ( I was at Awoonga during the spill) & I know all about the commercial fishing that went on once the season opened.

rec anglers in the most populous state (NSW) is around 850,000 - of those around 600,000 are licenced ... so any talk of millions in Qld is just rubbish. The average days fished per angler in NSW is just 7
    as for the fish take ? ...... the old saying that 10% of the fishoes catch 90% of the fish rings true ...... from my time in clubs - time with family / friends etc ..... any notion of 500g / week / angler is so off the mark . The reality is that NSW recreational anglers catch around 30% of what the commercial catch is ( look it up)

Chris
    Like I said I work up out of Gladstone and also fish awoonga and are also licensed in nsw and work all the way down to wooli if you bother to check instead of guessing you will find the commercials were banned from boyne taking Barra for a fair time after spill .
    like I said its was for shits and giggles but those numbers of fish recs are taking are huge and I agree what you say about 10% but that percentage these days is rising but half a kilo a week shit I've never met a rec that can't catch that most recs I know would average somewhere between 1 and 2 tonnes a year and your only got to look in the offshore reports for that conformation a lot of boats fishing up north bagging out average around 300 to 400 kg a trip and will do up to 10 trips a year that gets them up to 5 tonne annually and that doesn't take into account losses to sharks undersized death rates and upgrading and barotrauma I think my figures wouldn't even come close I'd of thought there more.
    but hey when I look at fisheries rec catch estimates by fisheries for species I don't think commercials catch more of anything other than mullet and that ends up getting used for rec bait anyway.
    Then let's look at the charter industry hundreds out of the Gold Coast seaway it only costs $90 for a charter licence last I checked in Qld what about the swains and coral sea boats catching tonnes they even got permits to fish during reef spawning closures, double bag limits shit it wasn't even that many years ago they were had permits to take undersized fish. It doesn't end I could pull this shit out all day.

Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    Like I said I work up out of Gladstone and also fish awoonga and are also licensed in nsw and work all the way down to wooli if you bother to check instead of guessing you will find the commercials were banned from boyne taking Barra for a fair time after spill .
    like I said its was for shits and giggles but those numbers of fish recs are taking are huge and I agree what you say about 10% but that percentage these days is rising but half a kilo a week shit I've never met a rec that can't catch that most recs I know would average somewhere between 1 and 2 tonnes a year and your only got to look in the offshore reports for that conformation a lot of boats fishing up north bagging out average around 300 to 400 kg a trip and will do up to 10 trips a year that gets them up to 5 tonne annually and that doesn't take into account losses to sharks undersized death rates and upgrading and barotrauma I think my figures wouldn't even come close I'd of thought there more.
    but hey when I look at fisheries rec catch estimates by fisheries for species I don't think commercials catch more of anything other than mullet and that ends up getting used for rec bait anyway.
    Then let's look at the charter industry hundreds out of the Gold Coast seaway it only costs $90 for a charter licence last I checked in Qld what about the swains and coral sea boats catching tonnes they even got permits to fish during reef spawning closures, double bag limits shit it wasn't even that many years ago they were had permits to take undersized fish. It doesn't end I could pull this shit out all day.
    Say what you will .....

http://www.daf.qld.gov.au/__data/ass...-spillover.pdf

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/...unty-decimated
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

That report sums it ALL up. Quite the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGurn View Post
    That report sums it ALL up. Quite the insight.
    Yep ... a sad situation indeed .
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO