Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Which Winch to buy??

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

Re: Which Winch to buy??

I thought it was an interesting video. Showed the comparison well for the 4 Different specked models. I will stick with what mother nature supplied me I think and if I break then that's life.
    I have always built things bulletproof and I admire those that do the same and follow those principles. That goes for any product or thing. Unfortunately we see less of this everyday.
    It is up to the buyer to make the comparison s and do the research to satisfy themselves when forking out some serious hard earned.

Cheers
    Jim.

Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

I forgot about this thread, however today I decided that I am sick of pulling up the pick when I am solo and I am going to buy an anchor winch! Anyway, it wont be a drum winch for me as I don't have the space unless I cut into my double bed. I need to find a vertical winch capable of chain and rope with the lowest profile possible.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    I forgot about this thread, however today I decided that I am sick of pulling up the pick when I am solo and I am going to buy an anchor winch! Anyway, it wont be a drum winch for me as I don't have the space unless I cut into my double bed. I need to find a vertical winch capable of chain and rope with the lowest profile possible.
    Pic of your mounting situation may help Andy. When you say "vertical" I assume you mean a vertically oriented gypsy ?

The only problem I had and have seen since with a vertical gypsy the winch was the rope would build up in the middle, just like a Mr Whippy icecream.I had to install a hatch to the cabin so I could access it. I now have a Stressfree, it wasn't easy but it fit and is much easier.

Best value for money anchor winch

Seems like stress free is the most popular. Also, emailing them is really good. They reply quickly and give adequate information. Anyway, was doing some research and saw a video of the stress free and there is an issue of overruns. I suppose most winches will have that problem? Does anyone have any issues like this or others with using anchor winches? And if I am fishing port philip, is an anchor winch a needed $2.8K spend? Thanks.

Re: Best value for money anchor winch

Quote Originally Posted by SCTSCT View Post
    Seems like stress free is the most popular. Also, emailing them is really good. They reply quickly and give adequate information. Anyway, was doing some research and saw a video of the stress free and there is an issue of overruns. I suppose most winches will have that problem? Does anyone have any issues like this or others with using anchor winches? And if I am fishing port philip, is an anchor winch a needed $2.8K spend? Thanks.
    G’day SCT, when you say over runs, do you mean in free fall they over run ?
    I’ve got a Lonestar GX2 and use it in PPB. I get out a couple times a month and have not looked back since getting the winch. So much easier to raise the pick and try the next spot without any effort. The lonestars don’t do free fall that I know of, the GX2 d definitely isn’t anyway, it has plenty enough drop speed I believe. Having free fall is just something else to fail in my biased opinion ha ha.
    From memory the LS was almost half the cost you mentioned and I bought all the extras to fit it myself - cables, hardware and bow sprit.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

Re: Best value for money anchor winch

Quote Originally Posted by 552Evo View Post
    G’day SCT, when you say over runs, do you mean in free fall they over run ?
    I’ve got a Lonestar GX2 and use it in PPB. I get out a couple times a month and have not looked back since getting the winch. So much easier to raise the pick and try the next spot without any effort. The lonestars don’t do free fall that I know of, the GX2 d definitely isn’t anyway, it has plenty enough drop speed I believe. Having free fall is just something else to fail in my biased opinion ha ha.
    From memory the LS was almost half the cost you mentioned and I bought all the extras to fit it myself - cables, hardware and bow sprit.

I saw the video and seemed the lone stair is a better performing winch. However, it could be argued that one was 1000W and the other 500W. In any case, if it is significantly cheaper, I would really appreciate that. With what was quoted for the stress free with rope, chain, anchor, roller and bow roller/bow sprit, it still feels like a lot of money and I just realized that a saltwater riptide minnkota 80 lbs is still CHEAPER!

As for overruns, it means that anchor has reached bottom but the winch is still going so the excess rope gets tangled back into the reel.

From memory mine cost about $1200 then I bought the bow sprit and all the cable and screws n bolts. I think I had everything covered at about $1600-1700. I already had an anchor with chain and rope.
    Depending on your setup you may not have to buy a $350 bow sprit like me.
    Again depending on your setup it may be an easy install. Mine took ? about 6 hours to install with tidy wiring and a awkward bow sprit.

Re over runs and free fall you would think there would be some sort of drag adjustment to sort that out ?
    Im not sure how true it is but I was told that the magnetic free fall mechanism is prone to long term rust issues so I thats why I went for a simple system.