Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which Winch to buy??

Re: Which Winch to buy??

On a side note, does anyone have experience with the 'Universal' brand winch?
    http://www.universalwinch.com.au/the-range/

looking at one only because of the level wind feature.

I agree with most comments to date, a sample of 1 is not a scientifically valid experiment and can lead to claims of bias and error ( I have a background in biostatistics). However, the test is a starting point for further investigation and finding an independent assessor to do this is always difficult in a competitive commercial market. I recall the animosity between Savwinch and Lone Star when I was researching and talking with the vendors at the Melbourne boat show a few years ago. Both were equally critical and making claim and counter claim about each other, almost to the point of legal action. I just wonder about the timing of the test result in view of the boat show coming up this weekend in Melbourne. It would make for some interesting conversation to see if the video is played on the Lone Star stand. In the end I went with Savwinch for my boat based on economic and service back-up reasons as I am a complete mechanical novice. I have experienced one winch motor stall and reset after 30 minutes when anchored in 8m around Mud Island to date. Not sure what to make of it as I was able to break free from the reef, but it does rock your confidence in the product. By the way, I really appreciate the wide experience and advice given by so many Ausfish members on this site. I certainly get more out of the forum than I contribute. Thanks again guys.

Quote Originally Posted by seastrength View Post
    I just wonder about the timing of the test result in view of the boat show coming up this weekend in Melbourne. It would make for some interesting conversation to see if the video is played on the Lone Star stand.
    Nail on the head I think mate!

Quote Originally Posted by stang69 View Post
    This looks about as legit as the "trailerboat of the year" competitions. But then again, maybe I'm just cynical.
    LOL. Not cynical, just realistic. Mat

hmmm, pop corn indeed LOL
    well, if conscentious is bias testing, I don't think we can honestly look at ANY test, be it motors, boats trailers you name it.
    I at least get some info out of these things, some may not

I believe you take out of it what you want, helpful or not, useful or not.
    The winner, well, down this way, I'de say there are more lonestar than other brands, don't here one bad word on performance or warranty back up.
    I've met Malke, the owner, top bloke, making a great product, he's a passionate fisho, I do believe he has locked in some major boat manufacturers down this way and he's been knocking them out for quite some time.
    Again, I stress, I don't have one, but on all accounts with the fishing clubs and aquantances I know a lot that do.
    Skeptasism is fair enough, we all should be wary and consider all things that are presented, I see this as no different to any other marine supplier, be it out boards, sounders etc etc, not worth getting worked up over, take out of it what you want or can...
    .......there's me second batch of pop corn ready !!!!
    C

I think you will find that Lonestar paid for this "ad" without any consultation with the other winch manufacturers. If this was an independent test with each manufacturer supplying their own winch, it would have more credibility.
    Its great marketing, but I wouldn't read too much into it. Much the same as the old Etec pulling the Yamaha backwards ad.

Any real world results? Any documentation of warranty return numbers? You know, the stuff that actually matters on the water.

Out of popcorn but got a packet of CC's handy.

The test does seem to lack the usual stringent requirements under NATA so even though they are mentioned I am wondering who actually did the testing, one test they didn't perform was the power drains on the batteries, just all seems staged.

The results are interesting regardless.

Stang, the other manufacturers provided their winches for testing ! ( correction, lonestar did purchase the other winches for testing)

Don't know who paid for it, or how that works.
    I agree Dignity, there appears to have been a few more tests that could have been made, maybe a budget was in place, dunno how it works. still some interesting things came out of it, cant see any owner of the failed ones bailing out, hey, mine failed ! but I'm happy with what I've got.
    But I seriously cant believe some of the doom and gloom conspiracy theorist with there " inside knowledge" of what occurred LOL
    I don't like CC's, but I'm sure I have other munchies hidden in the cupboard somewhere !!!
    I recon in a few more posts we'll hear how the opposing winches were swapped and labelled with other brands LOL
    Last edited by blacklab; 14-06-2017 at 05:11 PM. Reason: correction

No manufacturers supplied their own winch kits except LSM.
    LSM paid for and purchased the winches themselves from retailers around Melbourne and not direct from the manufacturers, in fact as far as I am aware, no other manufacturer had any say in this test at all.
    One manufacturer was even denied any information on which winch model and the serial number of the winch that was being tested because they were not the ones supplying the winch or paying for the testing.
    I think this test idea was fantastic and long overdue but it could have been done a bit better than it was.
    I'd like to see it run again with all brands current present at the testing lab to set up their own gear to their own correct specifications that they recommend to the average boatie.
    I also think the 1500w models would be a better test as most companies make winches in this size range, especially for SF who does produce a 1400w model and would happily run against the other manufacturers 1500w winches.

Hi Aussie, you are 100 percent correct as I have now been informed.

But I'm like you, about time we had something like this.
    maybe now the other brands will come to the party and get a unified test across the range.

Sure has put the cat amongst the pigeons and I agree it could have been done better as you say.
    but it sure did spark a good thread in Ausfish LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tucker View Post
    only complaint about that is they didn't do the Muir winch, my personal favourite.
    " this "

obviously its marketing spin allegedly dressed up as a independent test - and blacklab good to see your also allegedly a totally independent unbiased poster - Oh Yea !!

patrol, I own a stress free
    explain how my opinion could possibly be biased ?
    cause I know the bloke ?
    dressed up as an independent test or not, how is it different to any other test performed in any industry ?
    I just don't fly off and call someone that promotes his own "aussie built" product employing aussies, unless its blatently being dishonest in test results
    or misleading people.
    sometimes egoe's or product prefference get in the way of taking it for what it is.
    would I own a lonestar, dunno, my stress free works great !
    Am I bias..........not as much as many posters here.
    should other manufacturers been involved Yes
    would that ever happen, probably not.
    opinions are like arseholes mate, everyones got one.
    don't take it so seriously......
    cheers
    C

I think the biggest thing that the test highlighted is the fact some winches stalled and then tripped the breaker 10 seconds later. That 10 seconds is when the motor gets damaged and if you get your anchor hung up and you have one that does that over and over, well don't expect it to have a long life! I don't give a rats who's does what or who has what but this is a design floor.

actually Im an M&M man myself ..they melt in your mouth not in your hand....damn damn damn the advertising sucked me in again....and I have never owned or even touched an ETEC....well maybe touched ..just once and I didnt inhale.

All I wanted to say is ..dont take it so seriously..its interesting ..but it aint a rigorous scientific controlled experiment, nor really does it really pretend to be..in that a junior lab assistant could drive a Mack truck through the inconsistencies.

At the end of the day those who are going to buy a winch will make a decision which one based on a lot of things....like price...reliability...or a really neat on off switch....this is just another offering..

Be interesting to see if lonestar bump their prices up a bit now...
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.