Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vhf radios

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: vhf radios

Another great idea is if you don't want to use the radio or are unsure of correct protocol is to log on and off with the coastguard app SafeTrx. It's free and works on my iPhone and iPad. Just remember you need to have phone signal.

Bill Corten recommends it in his bar crossing course.

I did the MROCP which covers HF as well tho I doubt I'll ever use HF. Wasn't difficult if you want to add another notch to your belt. Course notes are free online I believe and there are some YouTube clips on proper use available if you don't take the exam. Main thing is follow the protocols - last thing we want is marine VHF to become like UHF CB.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Another great idea is if you don't want to use the radio or are unsure of correct protocol is to log on and off with the coastguard app SafeTrx. It's free and works on my iPhone and iPad. Just remember you need to have phone signal.

Bill Corten recommends it in his bar crossing course.
    Yep have used that a few times now. I think its quite good.

Hi,

For those contemplating getting either the SROCP or the LROCP, be advised that from 1 July 2017 a new practical assessment is being introduced, in addition to the written theory test. I know of a few examination invigilators who are not renewing their contracts at the end of June, as the cost involved to have a working VHF and HF radios for the assessment is not economical for the number of assessments that they conduct.

This will only make the search for an invigilator more difficult in some areas.....................in mine it will reduce the number of independent invigilators to only one.(that's why I am doing the assessment this week).

Tinkicka